Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 09:06 AM

Re: Do you ever feel the urge to rescue someone who has lost their way?

I think as others have said it's difficult to comment without the details but in general if someone needs a helping hand and I thought they deserved help I would give it freely and without question.....beware of professional victims though those who are in constant need of help and really don't deserve it.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Annie , remember the thread about the Empath . Empaths absorb the energy of others often unknowingly , we are fixers as we dont like to see pain in others .

I have been a fixer all my life and probably always will be . Its lovely to help others but be aware you may get hurt too . You cant carry someone but you can offer guidance . If they dont take the guidance you may need to walk away and that's ok to do . We only have so much energy to give out dont we
This Annie. You are an empath and it doesn't surprise me that you are trying to help this person. I ve learned no matter how much we try to help someone there are times some just cannot be helped.

Look after you. I wish you the best x
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 09:30 AM

As a related matter, loans.

I have NEVER loaned anyone anything and never will. The moment you loan a friend anything you immediately lose that friend. The moment you ask to borrow from a friend likewise you lose that friend.

Ol' Willy Waggledagger was spot on when he wrote “Neither a borrower nor a lender be"

I've never loaned anything - but I've often given and chose to instantly forget when I have or what it was and that's a fact.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 10:53 AM

Yes and frankly it’s always blown up in my face cause I suck at it.
So YES I often feel the urge to help people who have lost their way but I’m too lost myself to help
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->

I wish you well ,Annie,she is blessed to have a friend like you,x
Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

This is someone I don't know that well but she has chosen to reach out to me for some reason. .
It seems from Annie's post that she's not a friend!

I think we have enough with our own problems & those of friends & family without taking on the problems of people we don't know very well.

I would try to help her to find help from the appropriate quarters and then leave well alone. I certainly wouldn't put up with verbal abuse from this person who isn't even a friend!!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Yes and frankly it’s always blown up in my face cause I suck at it.
So YES I often feel the urge to help people who have lost their way but I’m too lost myself to help
Aren't we all Bratti .
What I will say if you help someone it's going to COST you .
If not in money in emotional turmoil .
I have helped people and have resigned myself they will not be grateful .

As the Chinese saying goes .

Why do you hate me?
I haven't done you a favour.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Aren't we all Bratti .
What I will say if you help someone it's going to COST you .
If not in money in emotional turmoil .
I have helped people and have resigned myself they will not be grateful .

As the Chinese saying goes .

Why do you hate me?
I haven't done you a favour.
Isn’t that the same thing as :
No good deed goes unpunished
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 01:12 PM

I will help anybody as much as l can but l give up when it starts to become, like ‘flogging a dead horse’.

It can mean you absorb their negativity and end up starting to feel as bad they do.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 01:19 PM

I am always prepared to help people if I can but I do have trouble dealing with people who are verbally or physically abusive. it's just not something I have time for, even though I am aware that sometimes it is a mental problem. It's just the way I am, i have always been like it.

For instance, I would love to be a paramedic out there helping people in need but if they were abusive towards me, I could just as easy leave them to die
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 01:27 PM

I think you have to be straight with each other Annie. tell her that you will help in any way you can but also tell her that you will not stand for any sh*t from her either, otherwise she is on her own. Lay down some ground rules which you both have to stick to.

That's what I would do in that situation.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top