Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 09:50 AM

Re: Cyclist and the yoga teacher

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
If she were a pensioner or a child would you feel the judgement was unfair?
Doubt a child or pensioner would be near London Bridge in the rush hour, but they might have a bit more common sense.

Typical 'snowflake', slang term for a person, implying that they have an inflated sense of uniqueness, an unwarranted sense of entitlement, who should be thoroughly ashamed.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 10:09 AM

Pour encourager les autres?
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 10:15 AM

I do think cyclists should have insurance , they are road users and accidents happen at fault of car drivers and cyclists too . Wonder why it's not law
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I feel sure there is a thread on this case somewhere but can't find it .

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tml#newcomment

I am not fond of cyclists but in this case I think the judgement was unfair .
True but a judgement has to be fair .
It's nothing to do with her being a yoga teacher .
She should not have been crossing the road looking at her phone.
Hopefully small children and elderly people will have more sense.
I agree.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 11:52 AM

If a motorist is caught using a mobile phone he/she will be charged with careless driving and not paying attention to what may be on the road.
Should not this law also be in force for pedestrians who step out into the road head down looking at a mobile phone and not paying attention to what may be approaching on the road. The road is for the use of motorists and cyclists. The pavements are for the use of pedestrians who may cross the roads by using the official crossing points. If this cyclist had knocked this woman down on an official crossing point then it would have been a different matter.
If pedestrians used the pavements and not the roads then the motorist/cyclist with use the roads and not the pavements.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 12:13 PM

True but a judgement has to be fair .
It's nothing to do with her being a yoga teacher .
She should not have been crossing the road looking at her phone.
Hopefully small children and elderly people will have more sense.
Exactly - it was her own fault for stepping in front of the bike because her attention was elsewhere, i.e. too concerned with her phone. You see it everywhere these days, people almost umbilically attached to their phones not looking where they're going. A woman falling into a water trough at a shopping centre in the US or the young girl falling down through a raised manhole cover ring any bells?

I'm surprised there haven't been any fatalities (that I know of anyway). About time people started being responsible for their own safety instead of blaming someone else for their own stupidity.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
There is no law against crossing the road looking at your phone.

We have stringent laws about watching out for pedestrians which is a good thing because it is not the pedestrian that is a danger on the roads but the vehicle. The trouble is a lot of cyclists think the law does not apply to them.
Well it's about time there was. So-called 'Jaywalking' in some US states can illicit a court appearance and a fine. About time such penalties were enacted over here.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 12:19 PM

As a cyclist, I have only ever had one close shave with a pedestrian, my fault, I was in the Lotus Position at the time.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Doubt a child or pensioner would be near London Bridge in the rush hour, but they might have a bit more common sense.
You're likely to have sick elderly young children disabled there because Guys hospital is at one end of the bridge. There will also be tourists looking in the wrong direction because they are used to right side traffic.

Its up to cyclists to ensure they pay attention and are able to stop in time. They cannot brake like cars so should not drive like speedy gonzales.

It doesnt matter to me how many slices of avocado toast the yoga teacher ate or her political leanings. The law rules in favour of pedestrians in the uk. The vehicle is expected to expect the unexpected.

They should have a test for cyclists and licensing/insurance if they are using major highways.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Pour encourager les autres?
Having a bike helmet camera would be a pragmatic solution to that.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top