Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2009, 12:39 PM

The political debate

Like I said yesterday, if the tories get voted in next year it'll be the most reactionary government we've had in decades.

This was proved today by a statement cameron made, he said they'll stop paying incapacity benefit to 500,000 people that receive it at the moment.

Who does he think he is, god, everyone who gets this benefit has been examined by a doctor appointed by social services to ensure they are disabled, so in effect he's saying he's more qualified than a GP.

Further more if 500,000 claimants do get their benefits stopped where they gonna get jobs to support themselves, as I said, a very reactionary policy IMO and they aint even in power yet, god help us all if they do get in.
Jan
Scotland
Jan is female  Jan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2009, 06:58 PM

Re: The political debate

I can't see the next few years being easy however the election turns out
Borrowing is so high we're all going to suffer while finances are sorted out.

I will give Gordon Brown credit for handling the financial crisis quite well but he has to be at least partly responsible for the mess. Remember he was chancellor while all the insane lending and enormous bonuses went on and he could have done more to regulate the markets before things reached a crisis. Also one of his first acts as chancellor attacked pensions and look how worried we all are by what's going to happen there.

TBH I think it does any party good to have a spell in opposition. Otherwise they begin to run out of steam and seem to become more arrogant. Unfortunately I groan at the alternatives.

I can remember the last time we had a Conservative government and I'm not a Cameron fan. Mind you I do respect Annabel Goldie even if I don't always agree with her.

The other parties just don't seem plausible as out right winners and I wasn't over impressed with the Lib Dems when they joined up with Lab. in Holyrood.

Here in Scotland I suspect a Con. victory might help SNP in the long run. We'd be back to the situation of being governed by a party the Scottish people hadn't supported. It wouldn't be long before clashes came between the two parliaments.

I think Westminster could learn a bit from Holyrood. The parties have had to work together. None of them have a complete monopoly on 'wisdom' so having to work that bit harder to sell their ideas isn't such a bad thing.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2009, 07:46 PM

I live in the hope that Scotland will get it's independence from the rest of the UK.

The SNP have promised to keep trying for this, if we did get it the first move they'll make is to withdraw from Europe, just think what a difference that would make up here, I can see a mass exodus from England, . . lets face it, nobody actually lies being in Europe except the politicians with cushy jobs like mandelson.

Hey, . . we could revert back to lbs and oz's, . . and gallons instead of ltrs, we could keep the £ too coz there's plans for us to convert to Euros, we could have a better control of immigrants like Australia has, we could control the price of petrol but sadly we'll never be able to control the midges up here.
nero
Central Scotland

06-10-2009, 08:37 PM

I'll wait with baited breath to hear what Cameron has to say tomorrow, so far they aint impressed me but that would be hard to do coz they all waffle.

This is why IMO they all go into politics, . . gift of the gab and all that, . . and it's not just the tories, some of them have good qualifications like law degrees etc, but they've opted for an easy life, lazy lazy sods so they are.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2009, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
I live in the hope that Scotland will get it's independence from the rest of the UK.
How will that effect all my savings and investments Denis ? About 75% are in Scottish institutions and I choose them partly for the world wide reputation of you lot for good finacial management. Just a thought I'm not too worried to be honest as I reckon I'll have departed this mortal coil before it ever happens
nero
Central Scotland

07-10-2009, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
How will that effect all my savings and investments Denis ? About 75% are in Scottish institutions and I choose them partly for the world wide reputation of you lot for good finacial management. Just a thought I'm not too worried to be honest as I reckon I'll have departed this mortal coil before it ever happens
I hate to disillusion you Harvey but Gordon Brown's Scottish, only kiddin mate, all the financial experts said 2 years ago he was the finest chancellor we've had in 200 years, pity it all went bad for him recently but it wasn't his fault.
nero
Central Scotland

27-10-2009, 07:04 PM

Back to the tories, . . I listened to their leader today, . . (what a smarmy sod he is), you'd think butter would'nt melt in his mouth, . . he has a cunning plan with the "front" though, there's a general election next year, . . as time grows closer he's gonna be even more smarmy.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2009, 07:20 PM

You don't like him then Nero?

I still feel almost all of the parties are still not progressive enough, even the lib dems hold some views that I think are a bit backward.

The green party seems pretty neat.. but are tainted with the 'green' label.
nero
Central Scotland

27-10-2009, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
You don't like him then Nero?

I still feel almost all of the parties are still not progressive enough, even the lib dems hold some views that I think are a bit backward.

The green party seems pretty neat.. but are tainted with the 'green' label.
It's going to be a difficult choice Azz, they're all the same, I wait expectantly to see if a party emerges that appeals to me but so far there's not one.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2009, 08:18 PM

Know what you mean - sometimes I wonder if there is some masterplan as I can't believe some of the views some 'people in power' hold :-/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top