Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2012, 09:40 PM

Standing on chairs.

Just a little reminder Folks, if you are a certain age please don't step on chairs to reach a height. My wife received a phone call today to let her know her eldest Sister (Maisie, 82) used a chair to stand on while changing the curtains on her bedroom window, the chair slipped on the wooden floor and she was taken to hospital, nothing was broken but she had to have 20 stitches in a very nasty wound. Luckily her grandson (15) was in the house when it happened and called the Ambulance, (He didn't know what she was at upstairs and only went up when he heard the thud.). Maisie is very independent and still thinks she's a young Woman, the wife spoke to her on the phone at teatime (Ticking her off for being so stupid and worried at the same time) and she's back home now, sore but well. Pleeese be careful and if you can, get someone to do it for you.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2012, 10:21 PM

Re: Standing on chairs.

Thank you for the warning Jemflux. I think a lot of women stand on chairs and I do it all the time. It's easier than getting the stepladders out, but I know I shouldn't be doing it. My grandma had a nasty accident falling off a chair and her leg was badly damaged as a result; not broken, but it never really healed well and became ulcerated because of the damage.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2012, 10:47 PM

That's good advice and a warning to all, Jem.

Many years ago I stood on a stool to clean the tops of the wardrobes. I must have stood too far over on one side as it tipped and I went flying on the floor. I was bruised but didn't do any serious damage to myself. My husband was fuming at me for doing something so silly and unsafe

I hope Maisie's wounds heal up soon, it must have given her quite a nasty shock too
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2012, 11:07 PM

Jem, hope Maisie soon recovers, and what a good job her Grandson was there to help her.

I always used to stand on fold-up wooden chair-stupid thing to do, as the chair folded on me and I ended up on the floor. No injuries, just bruised, but I've never done it since-always get the ladder out of the garage now.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2012, 11:23 PM

Excellent advice Jem.

I have had the odd occasion standing on a chair and felt quite nervous about doing so. Nowadays, my OH can get to the 'hard to reach' places.....well, he is 6'5"
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 12:24 AM

Good advice Jem and hope Maisie's wound heals up soon.

I'm another one who stands on chairs, have even been known to stand on the office chair which swivels and is on casters
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 12:49 AM

So sorry to hear about Maisie and I hope she recovers soon. I'm 20 years younger but I can no longer stand on a chair, nor can I go up a ladder.

Please contact Age UK. A couple of months ago I contacted them because I desperately needed to wash my curtains, but I couldn't reach, even if I'd been able to use a ladder. That used to be my other half's job.

In this area, they charge £11 an hour for house cleaning duties which covers taking down/putting up curtains, cleaning windows, vacuuming etc. Even if it's only once a month, £11 won't break the bank, and you'll be kept safe.

If you have nobody else to help you, contact Age UK as they are brilliant.

Methinks I needs somebody to clean me windows for me now though as it looks like nobody lives here anymore.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 08:57 AM

Not a ghost in Hell's chance of me ever doing this Jim matey, I can't even lift my leg high enough to step onto a small step ladder I have anymore.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 12:36 PM

Good advice Jem. I hope Maisie doesn't feel too sore today. I am always standing on chairs being so short and from there I step onto the kitchen worktops to reach things even walk along them. Airing cupboard, bedroom cupboards, everything here is to flipping high. It's these quick little reaching jobs where we could come unstuck isn't it? Anything like a light bulb change etc my husband does that. I have got a little pair of step ladders in the hallway cupboad and can't be bothered to get them out each and every time. Will now, thanks again Jem.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 01:34 PM

Yep I am a chair stander but last time I couldnt get off it!Had to wait up there till Joe came in, then got shouted at for doing it, I am an independant person and would rather do with out than ask for help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top