Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 02:06 PM

Re: Standing on chairs.

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
Yep I am a chair stander but last time I couldnt get off it!Had to wait up there till Joe came in, then got shouted at for doing it, I am an independant person and would rather do with out than ask for help.
Annie darlin' - I'm sure we all used be like this - independent. Sadly age and infirmity have taken their toll and many things I used to do without even thinking about I now struggle with or am unable to do at all.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 02:10 PM

'Standing on chairs ', something I think many of us do including myself knowing it is the wrong thing to do but still doing it.

I am only 5' 4' and have difficulty reaching things. Getting the steps which hang up in the garage seems to take ages but I will remember Jem's reminder and do so in future
White Raven
White Raven is female  White Raven has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 03:43 PM

Ohhh The poor Lady....A lesson for us all there. I too am guilty.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 04:34 PM

Timely post... I'm planning to re-hang the sheers I washed yesterday. I do stand on chairs but perhaps I'll look for the 2-step instead.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 07:10 PM

I keep my little step ladder handy in the kitchen because I can't reach anything without them. They are the sort that have a top bit to hold onto. I did once put a chair onto the bed to "attempt" to change a light bulb, it wasn't successful, it bounced about too much ! I also walk around on kitchen work surfaces to clean the tops of cupboards. I'm really not good with heights though, never have been, I get giddy wearing two pairs of socks!
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I did once put a chair onto the bed to "attempt" to change a light bulb
Nooooooo!

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I'm really not good with heights though, never have been, I get giddy wearing two pairs of socks!

Well I completely forgot this thread and stood on a kitchen chair to re-hang the sheers a few minutes ago. My short-term memory keeps getting shorter.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 07:22 PM

I have never stood on a chair since I was a child, we have 3 different sizes of stepladders which we use.
Why stand on a chair and ruin the upholstery
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 07:40 PM

Very good advice Jimmy, thanks for the reminder. I too hope Maisie feels better soon.

And thanks for info about Age UK Mollie. I know, myself included, that we are all a bit independent but if the charge is the same in all areas, then it isn't going to break the bank to get someone in to do those jobs..even once a month as you say.
Annie Jack behave yourself
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 08:22 PM

Not being a clever dick UJ but I have always had to do it or leave it, no use waiting for someone else in our house, my mother used to say"Anne can you come down and do this for me"You will find that most women do almost every thing"Have to!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2012, 12:13 AM

I forgot to mention that Age UK helps anyone over the age of 50 who is unable to do things for themselves.

I'm only 5ft tall and my curtain rail in my living/dining areas are something like 11ft up so it is impossible for me to change curtains.

For my kitchen cupboards on the wall, I have a little plastic step-up. It's only about 9" high, but it does a grand job when I need to reach the highest cupboards.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top