Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mlee
CA USA
Mlee is female  Mlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2012, 03:20 AM

Re: One Year Ago Today

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
I came out of hospital after having a stroke the Monday before.

It was just a mini-stroke, but since then I've had massive support from monthly phone calls from the Stroke Unit, a six month visit from the Senior Stroke Nurse from the hospital, and other supportive organisations.

Thing is, I'm fine - thank goodness. I had to take a month off work which went against the grain for me, as I wasn't allowed to drive, but fortunately, last April was gorgeous and I was able to sit outside and keep calm with no stress.

I am not incapacitated, although my typing skills were somewhat limited at the time, and my right fingers and top right lip are still numb but hey ho, I'm still here.
Your typing is darn good. And with your right fingers being numb? You are a fine typist.

Please do take care of yourself. I usually forget to take my meds until hours later or find that I didn't take one of them yesterday when I look at the pill holder.

Don't forget your meds.
As for that other pill you mentioned, I once asked my doctor for some 'smart pills.' LOL.
Ya' can tell he didn't give them to me.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2012, 11:44 PM

No, I never forget to take my medication as I have a regime I follow religiously.

Pill time is just before Emmerdale comes on every night just before 7 p.m.

Thanks about saying my typing is good, but I'm a professional typist having worked as a secretary for more than 45 years and can type blind-folded but, after the stroke I was doing things like thhhhhhhhhhhiiis.

The follow-ups have been wonderful, making sure I'm okay and everything. I can't fault the NHS (National Health Service) and the fact that in the UK it is absolutely free, as it is in Canada where Pixie lives, and her problem was far greater than mine. Indeed it was.
GoldenYears
Japan
GoldenYears is male  GoldenYears has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2012, 03:16 AM

Good to read you are doing okay Mollie. My mother had three strokes and passed away shortly after the third one. I guess medication and treatment has advanced somewhat since my mother's day. Cheers.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2012, 09:05 AM

Mollie it must be scary for you looking back and a relief that such an unpleasant episode is over.

I think for those of us who live alone the prospect of being ill and unable to look after ourselves unaided is one of the things we fear most.

I am so pleased you made a good recovery and are able to be with us now
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2012, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
I came out of hospital after having a stroke the Monday before.

It was just a mini-stroke, but since then I've had massive support from monthly phone calls from the Stroke Unit, a six month visit from the Senior Stroke Nurse from the hospital, and other supportive organisations.

Thing is, I'm fine - thank goodness. I had to take a month off work which went against the grain for me, as I wasn't allowed to drive, but fortunately, last April was gorgeous and I was able to sit outside and keep calm with no stress.

I am not incapacitated, although my typing skills were somewhat limited at the time, and my right fingers and top right lip are still numb but hey ho, I'm still here.

Mollie, I have just read that you are a smoker. Have you not tried to give up considering your health problems.
You can get help to break your habit from your doctor or you can contact an NHS helpline that will advise you how to get help.
Smoking is a contributing factor in strokes as it is in other health problems.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2012, 07:13 PM

Smoking is a contributing factor in strokes, my mother's doctor told her so when she had her first stroke. She immediately gave up smoking, as did I ....... the warning was enough to make both of us scared. Unfortunately for my mum, the damage was already done and she went on to have two further strokes, the final one being so severe that it broke our hearts to see her and she was released from her disablement and pain 10 days later.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 02:30 AM

Now then, first of all I'd like to thank you for your positive comments. However, I asked my doctor if smoking was an absolute reason why I had a stroke and he said "no," as did the stroke surgeon who attended me in hospital. They both said it had been brought on by stress and anxiety, but of course they said I should stop smoking, as any doctor would.

Mags, I am so sorry to hear of your mum's situation and that must have been awful for you.

But you see, I'm sorry to say this, but I will continue to live my life as I want to because I'm not really bothered any more, and I know that sounds selfish, but the truth is I don't care any longer. I have nobody to answer to, you see.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 02:39 AM

This may sound odd but you do right Mollie. Giving up smoking is a good thing to do, but given that your stroke was stress related, giving up smoking may be exactly the wrong thing to do in this case. Giving up smoking if you have smoked for a long time is a very stressful thing to do, and it's a fact that smoking reduces stress.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 11:25 AM

There is no absolute when it comes to a stroke, reducing all the factors involved are essential to a good recovery. Smoking, drinking, stress and a bad diet are all contributing factors. The more factors you eliminate the less likely you are to have another stroke. And I think it is not sound advice to say that giving up smoking could be worse than smoking. Doctors do not give bad advice on health issues. It is a well known and documented fact that smoking is detrimental to your health.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
There is no absolute when it comes to a stroke, reducing all the factors involved are essential to a good recovery. Smoking, drinking, stress and a bad diet are all contributing factors. The more factors you eliminate the less likely you are to have another stroke. And I think it is not sound advice to say that giving up smoking could be worse than smoking. Doctors do not give bad advice on health issues. It is a well known and documented fact that smoking is detrimental to your health.
Whilst what you say is true, it is also true that smoking is a slow killer over many years, and stress has immediate short term effects of a greater magnitude. When talking about stress related strokes, I think that your doctor will agree that the lesser of the two evils would be preferable during the recovery period which can take a couple of years. I'm not talking from the top of my head here, I'm talking from close personal experience.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top