Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2009, 09:13 AM

Nuns have a new home

Seen this on the news, they've built a new one for them in North Yorkshire, they call it a monastery I thought a monastery housed monks should'nt it be called a nunnery or is that too sexist.
Jackie
UK
Jackie is female  Jackie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2009, 10:33 AM

Re: Nuns have a new home

PC gone mad again

Nuns usually live in one of 3 convent, cloister, or abbey
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2009, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie ->
PC gone mad again

They quite clearly said monastery Jackie although I also heard Abbey, but I thought an Abbey was home for an Abbot hence the name.

Oh well, . . what's in a name anyway.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2009, 01:35 PM

I saw that this morning, it would break my heart to leave that lovely building they were in and go and live in that soulless place they are in now. The area is outstanding though. I can't understand how they could have got planning permission either. Divine intervention maybe
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2009, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie ->
PC gone mad again

There was a sign at their last place that said Abbey. You can't rely on reporters to get it right though can you.
nero
Central Scotland

11-10-2009, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by moetmum ->
I saw that this morning, it would break my heart to leave that lovely building they were in and go and live in that soulless place they are in now. The area is outstanding though. I can't understand how they could have got planning permission either. Divine intervention maybe
I noted that too, all breeze blocks and concrete, typical modern building eh.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2009, 05:33 PM

Nero, I think you may be talking about my neighbours, the Benedictine Sisters of Stanbrook Abbey...

This is what they have moved to...
http://stanbrookabbeyfriends.org/

From here....

http://www.powickparish.org.uk/church-stanbrook.html

The original Stanbrook is just down the road from me and was on the market for a mere £6 million, I though of buying it but decided it would be too big to heat in the winter
moetmum
Hampshire

11-10-2009, 05:38 PM

Thats the one! That would be where the funds came from to build the new one then. Did they sell before the credit crunch What is happening to their old home?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2009, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by moetmum ->
Thats the one! That would be where the funds came from to build the new one then. Did they sell before the credit crunch What is happening to their old home?
Hi MM the old building was sold/sale fell through a number of times, think it has sold now though. I heard it was going to be a hote or property development l but I am not sure.

It was next to what used to be Worcester County Pauper and Lunatic Asylum which once held some 1,200 inmates , a place of unspeakable horrors where experimental drugs were tested on the mentally ill that was pulled down a few years ago and an estate of houses built on the land, so the area around the Abbey is somewhat spoilt though the views are lovely.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2009, 06:55 PM

No comparison, that old building is beautiful................

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top