Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 03:01 PM

Re: Hrt?

Originally Posted by Chippy ->
8 Years is a long time for HRT.
At the time I just kept using it because the Doctor kept prescribing it-probably very naive of me. Decided 8 years was long enough and I just stopped taking it myself with no ill-effects of just stopping, thankfully.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 03:29 PM

Well like others, I experienced horrendous hot flushes, couldn't sleep and was very moody/teary. My doctor put me on HRT and from my experience of it, I thought it was the wonder drug at the time. The hot flushes stopped, I was able to get a good sleep again every night and I felt full of life again. No-one told me you should only take them for a certain length of time and I only started getting concerned when I happened to read a few 'horror' stories about women and HRT. I had been on it for 10 years by then I went to my doctor and she asked how long I had been taking it, I told her this was my 10th year .... her response was "Oh dear, you shouldn't have been taking it that long, come off it straight away!". I questioned why wasn't I told that and her answer was that someone should have told me!

Anyway, I stopped there and then and two days later the hot flushes came back with a vengeance, I felt dizzy and nauseous all the time. Thankfully there have been no ill effects in my case as a result..... the hot flushes stopped but the 'can't sleep syndrome' is still with me now.

If you asked me, would I take it again, my answer would be 'no', it's not worth the worry. There are numerous brands of HRT out there and finding the right one for you is more or less trial and error.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
I suppose I am one of the lucky ones. The only symptoms I have had are hot flushes. To me the menopause is a natural process just like starting your monthlies. Do any of you remember the agonies of that process At that time your body was getting ready for your childbearing years and now your body is telling you it's too old and it's shutting down that process. That's the way I see it, so no HRT for me.
But I do understand that some suffer more than others and may need some help to get them through.
I agree with this Mesco

I started going through the change when I was 41 and that's when I found out that it's early in our family! I was offered HRT but said no thanks! I didn't really have many symptoms, just hot flushes which I was able to cope with and it helped sitting next to a window at work.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by merz ->
At the time I just kept using it because the Doctor kept prescribing it-probably very naive of me. Decided 8 years was long enough and I just stopped taking it myself with no ill-effects of just stopping, thankfully.
Same here Merz, my doctor kept prescribing it, if I hadn't spoken up It could have been a lot longer than 10 years for me!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chippy ->
Life's a bitch and then you die
You don't know when and you don't know why
You love a little and you say goodbye
Fate comes in and throws the switch
Life's a bitch and then you die

My Ex used HRT for a while. It did reduce the flushes somewhat, but didn't affect her insomnia or mood swings at all. It affects everyone differently, and very much depends what dose your GP puts you on.

I think her husbandectomy helped the mood swings.

No mention yet of the male HRT I notice
I am being totally honest when I say I know nothing about this complaint, and believe me I would not be flippant on such a serious subject. If my Wife went through this, and I presume she must have, she never said anything to me about it and I didn't notice any difference in her manner or looks, maybe she was one of the lucky ones.
Male HRT?, for what?, I don't know any men who went through any change in life only the usual getting older and nothing you can do about it thing.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 05:18 PM

I went through menopause at 50 and the hot flashes were so bad I'd wake up soaked with sweat and have to change my nightgown and the sheets. I decided to ride it out without HRT and things gradually got better. If I do get a bit warm I can feel the flash coming on and it's tolerable (I'm 58). I dress in layers and shedding a sweater usually cools me enough that I'm comfortable.

Once had a woman tell me "It's not a hot flash, it's your inner child playing with matches".
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2012, 01:24 AM

Thanks for all of your replies. I'm glad now that I didn't have HRT, but I do know some women who use it, and they get teary, emotional and a bit needy.

I'm being honest now. There are times when it would have been my "time" to have a period, and I get a bit bad tempered. I know it's there, so I don't lose it and have to skate over it and de-fuse, otherwise I'd let fly!

Not only can it cause breast cancer, but thrombosis as well, but obviously not in every case.

I made a start on the menopause at age 38 and didn't have a period for a year, so I came off the pill. Unfortunately, at age 39, I got pregnant, but it wasn't to be.

I must admit, I don't get the hot flushes as much as I used to, but sticking your head in a freezer really does help during those moments!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top