Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 05:44 PM

Woman starves to death on sunlight diet

This is sad... how could anyone believe it was possible?

GENEVA—Swiss newspaper Tages-Anzeiger reports that a woman starved to death after embarking on a spiritual diet that required her to stop eating or drinking and live off sunlight alone.

The Zurich newspaper reported Wednesday that the unnamed Swiss woman in her fifties decided to follow the radical fast in 2010 after viewing an Austrian documentary about an Indian guru who claims to have lived this way for 70 years.

Tages-Anzeiger says there have been similar cases of self-starvation in Germany, Britain and Australia.

The prosecutors’ office in the Swiss canton (state) of Aargau confirmed Wednesday that the woman died in January 2011 in the town of Wolfhalden in eastern Switzerland.

Spokeswoman Jennifer Rissi says prosecutors haven’t opened a criminal investigation over the woman’s death.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 06:18 PM

Re: Woman starves to death on sunlight diet

It's hard to believe that, in this day and age, someone thinks it unnecessary to eat and drink to stay alive.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 06:49 PM

I think these people must be very vulnerable to believe that you can survive without food and water. Very sad really.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 07:03 PM

That is very sad indeed. If I was a family member, I could not have stood by and allowed her to do that.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 07:10 PM

Oh my God!, how could she be so weak minded as to fall for such a ridiculous suggestion?, whoever put this stupid idea into the poor Woman's head is guilty of manslaughter at least and should be brought to book.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 07:14 PM

Isnt it a bit like these cults and weird Religion that young people get mixed up in in America! And over her I believe.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 07:56 PM

There is no crime to investigate.

It is very sad but, in my humble opinion, I think there may be mental health issues with things of this nature.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 09:07 PM

You hit the nail on the head there Mollie. No one in their right mind would even consider going without food or water for any prolonged period of time. I've seen something similar on religious forums and paranormal forums. There is always at least one crazy, ready to believe the most outlandish things. That's one of the downsides of the internet. It gives these people a platform to preach from, and there are always plenty of people with reality problems that will soak it all up and believe this crap without any tangible evidence. I make it my mission on a couple of these forums to expose these lunatics before they can do too much damage. It doesn't take much research to debunk them.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2012, 12:39 AM

How sad that anyone can be so gullible or stupid or perhaps both.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2012, 01:03 AM

The thing is, and I'm trying to be kind yet candid, there are people who will believe that what they read and perceive to be truth, will act on these things. However, if the state of their mind is unbalanced, that's where the danger is.

I'm not a doctor, but from what I have read and understood, victims of bulimia and anorexia despise themselves so much that they starve themselves which, in its own right, they have believed from the media, glossy mags, TV etc that they should be thin to look good. Brain-washing? Yes, absolutely. These people aren't gullible, but vulnerable, and that sort of advertising should be outlawed.

Of course nobody can live without food and water - nobody. Not even a 70 year old Indian guru, who has probably sought fame from this claim.

Very dangerous indeed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top