Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

11-08-2012, 11:45 PM

Re: The 2012/2013 Football Season - Fans Thread

Community Shield and other inane ramblings.

This fixture, to be played at Villa Park on Sunday sees the might of Manchester City take on Chelsea.

Spies out and about tell me that Carlos Tevez has returned to City leaner and fitter than he has ever been. We know that Roberto Mancini and his team told all their players what their individual weights should be and they were threatened with sanctions if they returned over the top, presumably with a couple of doughnuts inserted somewhere.

It is perhaps a warning to the Premier clubs that Carlos has decided to play a huge part in proceedings this term rather than golf.

Mancini himself is keyed up and he expects to lay a few ghosts to rest although he seems to have missed a couple of significant targets he is still chasing the Napoli striker Edinson Cavani.

As far as Chelsea are concerned, Mr Drogbaaaaa has vanished and the question must be will Fernando Torres step up to the plate and finally win the battle of Stamford Bridge. Di Matteo has already made it clear that he is still in the market for strikers.

Chelsea have already lost Drogba, Kalou and Malouda looks set to head for the exit but gained Marin and they are also said to be after Cavani.

Could be a decent match for the neutral.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2012, 01:03 AM

After Cavini's performance at the Olympics for Uruguay, you would have to question his commitment for Club and Country. Should be an interesting match, but it won't tell you a lot about either side at this stage of the season. Its make or break for Torres, he just cannot have a season like last time. Its a bit of a distraction really after the wonderful Olympics we've just sat through.
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2012, 06:43 PM

Manchester City collected the first bit of silverware of the new season after managing to pip Chelsea 3-2 in the community shield show piece which was played at Villa Park. Fernando Torres scored for Chelsea who were reduced to 10 men for a large part of the game so nothing really to suggest that either of these two sides will walk all over the other teams in the Premiership this coming season. Yaya Toure, Samir Nazri and Carlos Tevez bagged the goals for the winners whilst Ryan Bertrand added one to Torres's opener.

Liverpool had another good win when playing Bayer Leverkusen in a friendly match, old favourite Sami Hypia is now in charge of the German side and he got a great reception from the Kop but goals from Andy Carroll, Lucas Leva and young Sterling were enough to see off his team 3-1.
Not long to go now folks until the really serious stuff begins so I will wish all you football fans the best of luck for a great season for your various favourites.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

17-08-2012, 05:12 PM

New season gets underway tomorrow, good luck to everyone who follows the game and supports a particular club.

"His captain's hand on his shoulder smote "Play up! play up! and play the game".

Onward
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2012, 07:05 PM

Enjoy your games, lads! Good luck to whichever team you support!

I don't contribute to your thread but I do enjoy reading your friendly banter...
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2012, 08:27 PM

Nice to know that you are keeping an eye on us Mags
I think I read somewhere that Lincoln lost their first competitive match of the season, is that correct John?
Good luck tomorrow and Sunday to all fans. May the force be with you!
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2012, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bob.b ->
Nice to know that you are keeping an eye on us Mags
I think I read somewhere that Lincoln lost their first competitive match of the season, is that correct John?
Good luck tomorrow and Sunday to all fans. May the force be with you!
Not quite my dear sir. Won their first home game against Kiddiminster 1-0. At the moment at half time at Newport, they're down 2-0. Keep forgetting the season's now underway for us all. Good luck guys, lets hope its a season with a lot less grief than we had last.
Bob.b
Nottingham UK

18-08-2012, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
Not quite my dear sir. Won their first home game against Kiddiminster 1-0. At the moment at half time at Newport, they're down 2-0. Keep forgetting the season's now underway for us all. Good luck guys, lets hope its a season with a lot less grief than we had last.
Oh dear, crash bang wallop, what a start to the season for my favourites! losing 3-0 at West Brom and having Daniel Agger sent off, worst opening day defeat for Pool since 1937 apparently, what a gloomy opening result
Glad Lincoln won the opening match John, pity they lost 2-1 today but I reckon our dear friend Hammer will have a wee smile on his face after his lads defeated Villa 1-0, a decent start to life back in the Prem
Just watching Newcastle v Spurs on ESPN, half time and no score yet, the teams do look to be evenly matched.
Good luck everybody else, whoever you support.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

18-08-2012, 08:55 PM

Gor blimey guv, only back in the prem for a few minutes and we are fifth. !!!!!

Sorry guys, it won't last and probably will be as high as we get so please excuse me while I milk it for all it's worth.
I have noted with some degree of resentment that some of the alleged knowlegeable football press have us relegated already. As Mr Keegan once said " I would just love it if they come unstuck".

However, on to more important things, thanks to Mr Dean and a commonsense approach to the actual rules of the game, the goal that upset Mr Paul Lambert until he had actually seen it properly saw us take the points at the Boleyn. We have not enjoyed many victories against Villa so even better.

Sorry to hear about the Reds Bob, it sounded a really awful result but I have to confess to being pleased that Steve Clarke won his first game as manager.
I have long admired him as a decent bloke and a good coach. I will watch Motd with interest.

John, as for Lincoln, from what I read the Imps got their act together in the second half after a wigging in the interval from Dean Holdsworth. A bit of a shame they could not turn the possession into at least an equaliser.
Still, a long way to go my friend and I hope your team soon enjoys success.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire

19-08-2012, 05:18 PM

Well done Hammer on your Premier League debut. Not surprised about the result, as Villa were dire last season, and don't look that much greater on yesterday's performance. Brilliant decision by Mike Dean, that the linesman missed. Lambert will always be a misery guts, makes Big Sam look like Mr Happy-go -lucky! Bob, Liverpool did'nt look like they were on song, so well played to the Baggies, always seem to get a good crowd behind them. My lot, yes got a goal back, but another struggle this season beckons.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top