Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 03:33 PM

Re: Project SUV

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I may have bitten off more than I can chew. New alternator installed and now I have a problem with "hot idle". Vehicle starts right up, BUT as soon as it warms up it shudders and stalls. The only way to keep it running is to keep the RPM's above 1,200. Will have to remove and clean the throttle body and the intake air control valve. .
If I get the above solved, I'll need to track down the "dead short" in the wiring system of the taillights which instant blow a fuse when I turn on the lights. Not sure yet but the lights on the instrument panel may be on the same circuit , which have never come on.
The hot idle problem could indicate that the auto choke/rich mixture sensor and associated control circuit is not reverting to full hot running mode. . somewhat like the old days when the manual choke-pull was left out on a manual gearbox car (stick-shift); that would certainly put the engine into a lumpy idle and then stall due to the very rich mixture. One give away clue would be the somewhat smoky exhaust and smell of unburnt fuel. I presume you do have a new air filter element.
Instrument lights .. check to see if there is a dimmer control fitted and that it works.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top