Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2016, 11:23 PM

Re: How many expats do we have here?

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Really?
What is the main objection Brits have about immigrants?
They dont mix, they dont assume our culture, our way of life and our languge. The huddle together in their own little groups and bring all their own culture with them expecting us to adapt to them.

So what is the difference when someone who has lived in a country for nearly 30 years tells you she always goes 'home' to the dentist because you cant trust the bloody forigeners? Is the rule different for ex-pats?
Or the fact that they all drink in the same pub or that half of them still dont speak the languge but go round yelling at people in English as if they are slow in the head.

One Scottish woman actually gave her reason for moving here as 'because they pour big measures of vodka'

Would I mix with these people if I still lived in the UK? NO..
So why would I do so here?
Because they speak my native tongue?. Thats just not a good enough reason for me and besides I made a choice to move.
Its my job to learn the ways and culture including the languages of my host country.

If you are part of a nice mixed community its fine but not all ex-pats are nice, some are just downright awful.
I do agree with you that not all ex pats are nice, but as I mentioned, we are a very mixed bunch of nationalities where we live and somehow or other we all, well most of us, get along with each other and I do think we are lucky here in that respect. What I really hate is the fact that some people actually seem to think that Spain is just an extension of the UK and that they can do as they like, Spanish laws and customs don´t apply to them, and yes we do hear them whinging away when in supermarket queues, restaurants etc. I actually find it quite difficult not to butt in and tell them nobody is holding a gun to their head and they can always go back to UK. Then there are the ones who say "if it wasn´t for us they´d still be riding donkeys". Indeed there are some very ignorant people. Fortunately where we live we have only the people at one side of us, and after tolerating their "we are better than anyone else" rubbish, I simply decided to stop even speaking to them and my life is less stressful for it.

I´m sure there are many urbanizacions where Brits rule, fortunately this is not one of them.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2016, 11:44 PM

I agree with that Cass. We live in a mixed community and unfortunately many Brits will not make attempts to learn the language and in fact cause a lot of problems within that community. The worst are the ones that own homes and come occasionally. Always complain.

We are always polite and say sorry if you don't get on with so and so we do. We are lucky we have mixed nationality friends but love our Spanish ones.

If you remember we are the immigrants and have the privilege of living a lovely life
VictoriaG
Andalucia, Spain
VictoriaG is female 

08-07-2020, 06:09 AM

Count me in please

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top