Join for free
Page 3 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 11:44 PM

Re: Proud to be English

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Well I am proud to have been born on this island, call it what you wish, Britain, Great Britain, whatever.
Agreed. I love Britain, the island. It's the best place in the world in my opinion. Nowhere like it.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2020, 12:26 AM

Yes, English and I wouldn't want to be British. Anyone can be British now so it means nothing with regard to the ancestral lines.

Pretty amazing country really. We are very fortunate and should count our blessings, despite all the moans and groans that are constantly emitted these days.

Must say, I adore Wales and the Welsh people... I've been so many times as it's only half an hour away, the air is clean (unless you go to Rhyl) mountains, and castles, rivers and hills.... beautiful.

But still English and proud to be so.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2020, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I don't think we shout enough about how great it is to be in the UK. Go anywhere in the UK and you find local customs abound let alone dialects and local food.
I have found if you are in somewhere unfamiliar a local will put themselves out to help. We have the ability to laugh at ourselves and welcome those from abroad will to add to our culture.
Yes the UK is a fantastic place to live. We have more history than a lot of countries going back hundreds of years and still have our own monachy.
We are an island race independant to choose for ourselves our government and freedom of speech.
We have and still make mistakes, but that is down to us not by the unelected . We have a fantastic National Health service (they saved my life)

So lets here more about how great it is to live in the UK
I'm of Irish extraction and I don't read the Sun .....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2020, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I don't think we shout enough about how great it is to be in the UK. Go anywhere in the UK and you find local customs abound let alone dialects and local food.
I have found if you are in somewhere unfamiliar a local will put themselves out to help. We have the ability to laugh at ourselves and welcome those from abroad will to add to our culture.
Yes the UK is a fantastic place to live. We have more history than a lot of countries going back hundreds of years and still have our own monachy.
We are an island race independant to choose for ourselves our government and freedom of speech.
We have and still make mistakes, but that is down to us not by the unelected . We have a fantastic National Health service (they saved my life)

So lets here more about how great it is to live in the UK
Hi

We have obviously lived and worked in very different parts of the UK.
Buzzzer
USA
Buzzzer is male  Buzzzer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2020, 04:01 AM

I'm not English, but we have visited there twice in the 90s. Very beautiful country. The towns and villages are just as beautiful. We found the people to be very warm and friendly. One thing though...you guys drive on the wrong side! (just kidding) I would like to visit again someday.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2020, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzzer ->
I'm not English, but we have visited there twice in the 90s. Very beautiful country. The towns and villages are just as beautiful. We found the people to be very warm and friendly. One thing though...you guys drive on the wrong side! (just kidding) I would like to visit again someday.
Thank you Buzzer.

Have gone Las Vegas a number of times and found the same nice people

Except the Yanks think I am from Australia
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2020, 08:08 AM

Saxon Celt Pagan, in agreement with Devo.

Originally Posted by Devo ->
I have never understood national pride. I feel pride if I do something worth being proud about. I cannot feel pride in an accident of birth putting me in England, an England whose collective history exists without any input from me. How can I d-feel pride?
I am extremely lucky to have lived in Devon for over 20 years with all the wonderful things it has to offer but it doesn't fill me with pride when I partake of them.
I am a Wessex man and I appreciate what that means whenever I go back to Wessex but pride? Hardly.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2020, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Thank you Buzzer.

Have gone Las Vegas a number of times and found the same nice people

Except the Yanks think I am from Australia
Aye well, they might well. But then they are are from the Mason-Dixon line.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2020, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
I have never understood national pride. I feel pride if I do something worth being proud about. I cannot feel pride in an accident of birth putting me in England, an England whose collective history exists without any input from me. How can I d-feel pride?

I am extremely lucky to have lived in Devon for over 20 years with all the wonderful things it has to offer but it doesn't fill me with pride when I partake of them.

I am a Wessex man and I appreciate what that means whenever I go back to Wessex but pride? Hardly.
Originally Posted by d00d ->
Saxon Celt Pagan, in agreement with Devo.
Originally Posted by spitfire ->
You and me and others are products of what has happened previously, just have to work out the implications.
I see 'pride' as a word with more than one meaning. As Devo has written, he feels pride at having achieved something. I feel pride at that also but also at being part of something that collectively, we have all had a part in by our individual achievements making it the country it is.

Also of course we are all very similar but in fact so very different in many ways, everyone to their own when it comes to how we feel individually I guess.

The dictionary definition of 'pride' explains this further if anyone is interested:

https://www.lexico.com/definition/pride
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2020, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by basser ->
Well i am proud to be English not proud to be british stuff Britain.
British has become far too all encompassing.

Page 3 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top