Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
gardener
UK
gardener is male  gardener has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 04:23 PM

Re: Has anyone heard a Cuckoo call this year?

heard 1 last week in the distance but unmistakably a cuckoo
Sableline
Durham,uk
Sableline is male  Sableline has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 04:47 PM

Not heard any up here in the north yet. That may have something to do with the terrible weather we are still experiencing. very cold wet and windy.
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 04:54 PM

Our Cuckoo's been cuckoo-ing for the past two weeks!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 06:35 PM

I can't remember the last time I heard a cuckoo, it must be years and years ago Living in a city though, we miss out on seeing or hearing many birds ..... except the blooming seagulls in the early hours
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 06:39 PM

I must stay the dawn chorus has been astonishingly loud this spring even without the cuckoo

That has to be a good thing I would think, a sign of healthy plentiful birds I hope
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 08:53 PM

I like the sound of a cuckoo and it was very common when I was a child, but I have mixed feelings about them. They are impostors and they do trick a poor unsuspecting bird of another species to abandon their own chicks who then die.
The poor mothering bird is often half the size of the monster she is desperately working to feed not knowing it's not even hers.
I have quite a lot of nesting birds in the garden, the usual sparrows and blackbirds, great tits in the nest box and blue tits also, have also seen wrens gathering nesting material in the garden.
Towards the end of last week a female blackbird fledgling flew into one of the windows. It was so sad to see the poor thing injured on the path and I could see it was most likely a fatal injury. It was flapping and distressed, it was a cold rainy day and I couldn't just leave it there so I picked it up and cupped it in both my hands supporting the body and all covered apart from the head for warmth, it calmed down and the eyes closed. I held it like that for a bit and it went into a coma after a little while, and I then wrapped it in an old tea towel and put it in a cardboard box and when I looked later it had died.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 09:41 PM

[QUOTE=Meg;649373]For the first time since I can remember I have not heard a Cuckoo so far this year .

I usually hear one in April, someone locally appears to have done I am pleased to see..

Thought I heard one a few weeks ago Meg, but I wasn't sure, it was a long way off, and it was just a short burst. But I heard one for sure while out running early on Sunday morning. It left me feeling good for the rest of the day.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
I like the sound of a cuckoo and it was very common when I was a child, but I have mixed feelings about them. They are impostors and they do trick a poor unsuspecting bird of another species to abandon their own chicks who then die.
The poor mothering bird is often half the size of the monster she is desperately working to feed not knowing it's not even hers.
I have quite a lot of nesting birds in the garden, the usual sparrows and blackbirds, great tits in the nest box and blue tits also, have also seen wrens gathering nesting material in the garden.
Towards the end of last week a female blackbird fledgling flew into one of the windows. It was so sad to see the poor thing injured on the path and I could see it was most likely a fatal injury. It was flapping and distressed, it was a cold rainy day and I couldn't just leave it there so I picked it up and cupped it in both my hands supporting the body and all covered apart from the head for warmth, it calmed down and the eyes closed. I held it like that for a bit and it went into a coma after a little while, and I then wrapped it in an old tea towel and put it in a cardboard box and when I looked later it had died.
Yes I know what you mean about Cuckoos being nest robbers Anita but for me it isn't spring without their call

Poor Blackbird, that is sad. My sitting room has a big window floor to ceiling on both sides and I think the birds see straight through. I get a lot flying into them luckily they are only winded most of the time.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

11-05-2015, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thought I heard one a few weeks ago Meg, but I wasn't sure, it was a long way off, and it was just a short burst. But I heard one for sure while out running early on Sunday morning. It left me feeling good for the rest of the day.
It has that effect on my too Robert I think it is that feeling that winter has really gone...
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Yes I know what you mean about Cuckoos being nest robbers Anita but for me it isn't spring without their call

Poor Blackbird, that is sad. My sitting room has a big window floor to ceiling on both sides and I think the birds see straight through. I get a lot flying into them luckily they are only winded most of the time.
It's because they see the sky reflected in the window and think they are flying into open space, it's so sad for them, I've also had some finches die recently like that.
I've got some 'leaves' that you put on the glass which should help. They are not sticky but do stay put.
I think I am going to get something else also as it didn't stop the fledgling getting killed.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top