Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 02:14 PM

Re: Makes me shudder...

I would never leave a dog of mine either in the car or tied up outside a supermarket. Even with the window down a car can quickly overheat and cause distress and even death for the dog. A neighbour of ours brought a little dog home that was tied up outside a supermarket, she saw it there and it was still there 2 hours later when she came back, she presumed it had been abandoned. Our neighbour went into the supermarket and asked them to put a call out over the loud speaker, they did, but nobody came forward to claim the dog so she took it to the vet to check for microchip, there wasn't one, so she brought it home. Our neighbour then put a photo of the dog on facebook, she also printed notices and put them up, including one outside the supermarket where she found the dog.

The next morning a Russian lady turned up to claim the dog, she did have papers proving it was hers but our neighbour told her she would be informing the police the dog had been returned to the owner and the police would be going to see her to ensure the papers were legal and that the dog was microchipped. I know our neighbour had informed the police, she is very involved in pet rescue and I believe the police did visit the Russian woman and told her that the dog must be microchipped immediately, it is law here, and that going off to have a meal somewhere leaving the dog tied up must not occur again.

edited to add: Evidently the Russian woman saw the dog and notice on facebook, it had been shared many times, but other than that I don't think she had made much effort to find it.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 02:25 PM

When I had my little fella I always asked if my dog was allowed into the shop bearing in mind he was carriable...and easy stealable

If they said no I didn't shop. It was no hardship to me or my dog.

I don't like to see dogs looking frantic and constantly barking for their owners when tied up outside shops/stores. Whether it is due to training or fear, it is always sad to listen too.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 02:32 PM

There are regulars tied up outside Waitrose and they always look anxious searching the people coming out of the door in eager anticipation .
One of them barks constantly.

I could never leave a dog tied up anywhere.
I used to take my dog out with me in the car when it wasn't hot and I was going shopping but I won't do that now after a number of dog napping cases around here.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 03:07 PM

So true, I'd rather take the dog home and walk back to the shop than tie him up outside....

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	10264972_945538082148006_2525289322016462502_n.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	265  
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 03:11 PM

Nope no way would i leave my Henry the Cavapoo outside a shop tied up. He is so adorable he would certainly be taken.🐶 🐕
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 07:56 PM

I take my dogs for a walk its their time, its a walk, a sniff, a toilet break, a meet and greet with other dogs.
When I go to the shop its human time I have my bike my bags or big shop my car. No place for a dog and as for those who leave dogs in hot cars

The OP is a picture taken in Holland and Im not sure but the culture in Europe may still be a bit behind the UK when it comes to dog thefts and dog security.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 07:59 PM

Cass the picture in my post opening the thread was of no significance except to show a dog tied up outside a supermarket
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 08:00 PM

I would never leave my Poppy tied up alone anywhere,Id be devastated if she was stolen or lost.
Far too precious to me.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
I would never leave my Poppy tied up alone anywhere,Id be devastated if she was stolen or lost.
Far too precious to me.

I'm with you there Aysa. I wouldn't dream of leaving mine outside anywhere.
There was a little one tied up to a mobility scooter outside Morrisons a while back. It was a bitter cold day, and the little dog had been left on bare concrete and he was shivering and shaking. I watched him for about half an hour and no one came back to him. He was so cold he was trying to climb up on the platform part of the scooter to get off the cold floor.
It makes my blood boil.
It is not only because of dog thieves either. Yobs and kids torment these dogs too, knowing full well the animal is tied up and can't defend themselves.
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 09:07 AM

Where I live in Hungary it's fairly common to see dogs waiting for their owners outside the supermarket or shop. There's very little danger of the dog being stolen or tormented as children are taught from an early age not to touch strange dogs.

In summer when the weather is hot I leave the dogs at home but from October to the end of May my two dogs travel everywhere with me in the car and they're quite happy to be left alone for a couple of hours whilst I do my shopping.

Generally speaking no one would dream of breaking into a car with two strange dogs inside!

Different country, different mentality and culture towards dogs!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top