Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 11:41 AM

Re: School Nativites

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I was talking of my own experiences over 50 years ago Julie, where despite being atheist, was 'forced' to attend both morning Assembly every morning AND religious lessons too.
I think you would find it a bit different these days UJ and rightly so. I would be first one to speak up if I felt anyone was forcing a child, it's important school is a safe happy place for children of all faiths and those of none.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think with churches in decline here that would limit rather how many children get to take part or even see religions in action. I like to see them get to know all religions so they can make their decisions about what to believe or what not to believe in their own time with the knowledge they need. Also some religions wouldn't go into other religious buildings so they wouldn't be mingling which is incredibly important.

Are your churches better attended than ours ?
Why is it a concern that the number of children seeing a religious ceremony be limited? SO what? The point is that those that WANT to see it CAN see it. Those that do not.. should not be forced to by being held captive in a school assembly. Public or State schools have children of all faiths attending. What do Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Budhists, Atheist or Agnostics care about the Nativity? Worse yet, children of other faiths are made to feel like the "other" when Christianity is observed and their religions are not. I don't think it's unfair at all for those wishing to observe Christian pagentry to GO TO CHURCH.. to do it. Same goes for the other faiths. Go to temple, go to mosque go to your grandma's basement alter, but keep it out of public places and institutions supported by the tax dollars of of ALL people of ALL faiths.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Anyone can celebrate whatever they want, however they want.. just not in public institutions that accept tax dollars.
And that, imo, is how it should be.
Titus
London
Titus is male  Titus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 02:09 PM

Our school (Primary/Infant/nursery) has and assembly but no religious content. They have a school song they sing but it is not religeous.

They are having plays (infant) and lower school but it is not a nativety.

26 languages and 5 different religions (more if you think of sects within religions)
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 02:12 PM

If the school decorates for Christmas and has the usual postbox for children to post their cards, I don't see a problem with a nativity as it helps to explain the tradition in a fun way that a lot of children enjoy taking part in. If the school pays no attention to Christmas then fair enough, it would make sense to have no nativity play.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Why is it a concern that the number of children seeing a religious ceremony be limited? SO what? The point is that those that WANT to see it CAN see it. Those that do not.. should not be forced to by being held captive in a school assembly. Public or State schools have children of all faiths attending. What do Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Budhists, Atheist or Agnostics care about the Nativity? Worse yet, children of other faiths are made to feel like the "other" when Christianity is observed and their religions are not. I don't think it's unfair at all for those wishing to observe Christian pagentry to GO TO CHURCH.. to do it. Same goes for the other faiths. Go to temple, go to mosque go to your grandma's basement alter, but keep it out of public places and institutions supported by the tax dollars of of ALL people of ALL faiths.
Well I like to see a everyone able to see and understand other people's ways and religions and even if people have no religion themselves it does no harm for them to see that religion isn't something only nut cases do. It's about tolerance and learning about other people which can never do any harm IMO

Gosh even sponge bob square pants has a part in our nativity it isn't just a religious thing it's a celebration at Christmas.
Titus
London
Titus is male  Titus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 03:05 PM

They have plays that explain christmas from different points of view. like Humph the camel and an Alien christmas.
christmas is explained and celibrated as is Diwahli chanukah and Eid.
Gives the children and understanding of other cultures and beliefs
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 04:02 PM

I think it's good that kids get understandings of different cultural beliefs. BUT a Nativity pagent is not really that is it? It's a celebration of a religious belief.. not an explanation. It's not being done to explain anything.. it's a form of worship and has no place in a secular school.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 04:05 PM

Like Mups we have been today to see our young grandson in his school nativity. There was no great emphasis on religion. It was modern but still remained traditional and was called I-Spy Christmas. They were all four and five year olds and were dressed up as birds, dogs, stars, flowers, cats, camels, a donkey, and various other inventions as well as an alien and the usual kings, shepherds etc. All the children in the two classes were dressed up and got a bit of time on the stage. Plenty of singing and I thought it was lovely. Photographs were taken and everyone cheered and clapped each other. Everyone enjoyed it - even the bits which went wrong.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

13-12-2013, 04:22 PM

even the bits which went wrong.
sometimes they are the best bits, donkey went a bit wonkey at ours but that got the biggest laugh, angel number 3 had a bit of an accident too but that's best not spoken of poor child

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top