Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2016, 11:25 AM

When does an adopted country become a home?

Two friends with very different opinion.

1) Vish, my very dear friend is from India, he moved to England in the early 80's with his parents at the age of 16ish.
I met him very soon after and as long as I can remember he's always called England his home and is fiercely proud of his adopted country.

2) I have a pal who is Italian and moved here in the late 80's.
He always makes comments like 'back home' when talking of Italy or comparing England to Italy.

Two very different approaches to their adopted countries.
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2016, 11:46 AM

Re: When does an adopted country become a home?

As an Italian myself and having lived in America since I was six I also find myself reminiscing about my homeland. Most of us Italians do that. Its not that we don't love or disrespect the country that has adopted us, its our strong roots that we can't or should not forget. Because that is who we really are and that is our true identity
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2016, 11:53 AM

I understand that and I don't think one should forget their roots or heritage.

It's the 'back home' comments I don't understand.

I will be moving house next week, it will cease to be my home and therefore my next house will become home.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2016, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I understand that and I don't think one should forget their roots or heritage.

It's the 'back home' comments I don't understand.

I will be moving house next week, it will cease to be my home and therefore my next house will become home.
Aye but You're not moving to another Country dear Boy..You'll still be in the Land of Your Birth.?
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2016, 11:58 AM

I wonder if people, like me, think of home as where they were brought up with their family. Although I've not lived in Leeds for 40 years, I still refer to it as back home.
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2016, 11:59 AM

Well I can tell you that I do have a friend from England and when we get together he does talk about " back home ". Miami is a rich city of many cultures. So this comment of " back home" is one we all understand and can identify with.

Having said that, we all would not hesitate to defend America. Its a country that has welcomed us all and has given us a way of life.
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2016, 12:03 PM

I'm German born and both parents are German although my mother married a Welshman, it's a messy tale and not for this forum ...

I've been here since I was seven months and I'm British/Welsh through and through but Germany has a strong place in my heart, I love the food and everything about the old home town. I feel the connection strongly.

My daughter and I are driving over in September for the first time in twelve years but we will only be driving in the still of night. Autobahns in daylight are no place for me or her. We have to drive through Bremen which is notoriously bad.

It's our first visit since my husband and mother died and it will be odd without either of them.

I've tried to forget about it but I can't, if I ask myself if there is one thing left you want, Germany is the only thing that pops up. If we do this okay in September we will go again next May, I may never go anywhere else for a holiday again.

I can't describe the connection I feel, it's beyond words really, just a really deep seated longing.

If our country is playing sport against the homeland, I want GB to win but if Deutschland win, I don't break my heart ...
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2016, 12:05 PM

I wonder if depends on the individual and whether he has a desire to return to his homeland. The house I live in is always my home, but if I lived in another country I still think I would consider England to be my home. I have met many Italians who still have a connection to their country and would be happy to return there..... anyway they do much better ice cream than we do!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2016, 12:09 PM

Derbyshire will always be my spiritual home although I haven't lived there since I was 15. It is the place of my birth where generations of my family lay buried.

I think your place of birth (if you know where it is) always stays part of you
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

19-04-2016, 12:09 PM

My examples are purely that, not because they are Italian and Indian.

Its just a 'wherever I lay my hat' sort of thought.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top