Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 02:52 PM

Re: What ever happened to Brexit?

It seems that the EU leaders are threatening us that the one year 'transition period' is not long enough and any trade deal will be unlikely to be made by then.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12...n-today-latest

Personally, I hope they're right. The transition period will end in December without the EU agreeing anything and we'll begin to trade with the world under WTO rules.

They seem to forget that we are a nett importer of goods and if we can purchase what we need more cheaply from non-EU countries, they will lose sales.

We have always bought many German cars in this country, just to take one example, and when people find that they can buy their cars more cheaply from Japan and Korea, the German car manufacturers will have something to say about it.

And we'll save ourselves £39 billion!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
It seems that the EU leaders are threatening us that the one year 'transition period' is not long enough and any trade deal will be unlikely to be made by then.
Of course they are, it wouldn't be the EU if it didn't drag its feet untill the last moment .

However, new year, new government, new attitude to get things done.
I believe a basic trade deal will be sealed and delivered in the time allocated but some extra time may be needed for the finer details to be completed.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Of course they are, it wouldn't be the EU if it didn't drag its feet untill the last moment .

However, new year, new government, new attitude to get things done.
I believe a basic trade deal will be sealed and delivered in the time allocated but some extra time may be needed for the finer details to be completed.
Presumably, in the meantime we can trade with the world.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
I said the only FTA's the EU have (that are complete or ratified) are with countries in the single market.

You sound like you only just found out

Oh dear...
But I named 7 countries that the EU has completed FTAs with who are not in the single market.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
May I remind you of the fact that it was the british who had to ask for an extension. Twice!
Because they hadn't gathered enough courage to take the step into the deep unknown.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 07:55 AM

Hi

We already trade on WTO Terms with many countries.

What we are seeking is our existing Tariff Free trade with the EU.

As regards Japanese and Korean Cars, many are manufactured in the EU.

According to the report, Japanese OEMs operate 14 plants in seven EU countries including Czech Republic (one), France (one), Hungary (one), Poland (two), Portugal (two), Spain (three), and the U.K. (four).

Toyota and Nissan operate seven plants and four plants, respectively, while Honda, Suzuki and Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus each operate one.

If there is no EU FTA, these cars will be more expensive, not cheaper.

As regards the £39 Billion, we have already paid and are still paying for a Transition period, so that figure is now wrong.

The second thing is that the Withdrawal Bill agreed by Boris includes a legally binding agreement to pay the balance.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 10:39 AM

I have had many Japanese cars and the build quality is amazing. From what i understand cars from Germany are very expensive on repairs and parts. That alone has put me off getting one
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I have had many Japanese cars and the build quality is amazing. From what i understand cars from Germany are very expensive on repairs and parts. That alone has put me off getting one
I don't think that is just German cars. Certainly here European cars are regarded as a status car because they are expensive to buy, parts cost a fortune and mechanics charge like wounded bulls to maintain them.

Japanese, Korean, and Thai built cars are much better value and more reliable, why anybody would buy a European car is beyond me but some do. They sell in very small numbers and consequently after sales service is absolute crap, only their commercial vehicles sell in any numbers.

Toyota is our biggest selling manufacturer and has been for years.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 11:27 AM

We buy around 800,000 German cars a year.

Think about that ...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

09-01-2020, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I agree. We have a Golf, bought as new. We both like it very much; it is nice to drive, reliable and performs well (not that we are boy and girl racers, of course).

When our three years are up and MoTs appear on the horizon, we'll trade in and buy another new one, but pre-registered to save money. After that time, I think it's likely that maintenance and repair bills would shoot up.

My last car (Skoda) was 13 years old and still never let me down. I'd have kept it still, were it not for the £4000 the lovely government offered me to trade it in simply because it was a diesel. Normally, I reckon I'd have got less than £400 for it!

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top