Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2011, 11:17 AM

Re: Cruise

Merely advice from the 'voice of experience' Barry matey, been there, done that, bought the 'T' shirt!!!
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2011, 01:29 PM

That is wonderful, have the best time ever
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Merely advice from the 'voice of experience' Barry matey, been there, done that, bought the 'T' shirt!!!
Not saying you're wrong Joe, merely trying to point out that she might prefer to look forward to the more positive aspects of the trip?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2011, 05:34 PM

Yes Barry I too hope Margaret has a good holiday and her crossing of the Bay of Biscay is a smooth one, but at that time of year it can be very rough and I'm trying to help Margaret by pointing out the possible discomfort she might suffer unless she takes adequate precautions. As I've previously said experience of crossing the Bay of Biscay myself leads me to make the suggestion to Margaret I have. If she has her 'sea legs' she'll be fine, but if not Mal de Mare is a very unpleasant experience, to be avoided or prevented with appropriate medication.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2011, 04:46 PM

A friend of ours went on a cruise, she said never again, after the Bay Of Biscay she was bedridden for two days.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

16-11-2011, 04:52 PM

Barry, after what Jimmy has said:

A friend of ours went on a cruise, she said never again, after the Bay Of Biscay she was bedridden for two days.

I rest my case!!! - I hope that Margaret has a good holiday, but it is better to be forewarned and forearmed as to what to possibly expect and take appropriate precautions accordingly.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Margaret ->
I am really excited. Yesterday, I booked an l2 day cruise to |Spain, Canaries, Portugal, Tenerife etc. I am going on 2nd Feb from Southampton. I have had a really crap 10 years and decided that it was time to give myself a treat. Really looking forward to it.
Margaret enjoy...the weather will be fabulous with the warmest February since records began, the sea will be as flat as a duck pond, and with the technology built into these modern cruise ships you won't even Know you're afloat
Have a great time, you deserve it....
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2011, 07:31 PM

Never been on a cruise but would love too, a few friends of mine say its the only way to holiday, and you have chosen a fantastic time of the year to leave chilly UK for a while.....Have a great great time.
Milo
Cyprus
Milo is female  Milo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2011, 08:07 PM

Cruising is the best IMO we go as often as we can and had our last one in March this year around Thailand and Malaysia.

Margaret suggestion I even get car sick, so two things you can do, there is a little hospital on board with doctors etc, they will charge but you can have a long lasting injection which lasts for weeks I paid £50 though so not cheap.

Second option which is the better one, is the patches behind your ear, each one works for 72 hours then pop a new one on, I got mine by perscription in the UK but I've totally forgotten the name they work perfectly. My OH never gets seasick at all even in rougher seas. Or even pressure bands on your wrists or ginger tablets work for many, rather than prescriptions.

The big cruise liners take some bashing we have seen heavy seas and felt nothing! The worst we ever had was off the coast of Cuba, cruises are on a massive surge to what they were even five years ago, you will love it!!

My tip if you can get off the ship yourself and explore, team up with friends you meet on board and share taxis etc. Always a much better way that buying an expensive excursion. But sometimes that's not possible, study your itinery before you go and find cruise forums to ask questions on. You will learn much beforehand, if you enjoy it, you will be hooked. I promise you.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2012, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Milo ->

My tip if you can get off the ship yourself and explore, team up with friends you meet on board and share taxis etc. Always a much better way that buying an expensive excursion. But sometimes that's not possible, study your itinery before you go and find cruise forums to ask questions on. You will learn much beforehand, if you enjoy it, you will be hooked. I promise you.

I agree with the above, the excursions are really expensive but be sure to be back before the ships sails cos they don't wait for you....I'm sure you will have a great time.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top