Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 04:57 PM

Re: Autodidacticism

Hi

This is so, so, true.

I can do complex Maths in my head.

I am amazed by my own stupidity when it comes to practical things.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Dextrous, not necessarily by choice, I have had to re-learn high school and university material so I could tutor my daughter. What surprises me is how much easier and interesting all this material is in 50s than it was in my teens and 20s. I suspect that it is because I have the life experience to connect it to, and because I have so much more respect for the knowledge than I did in my younger years.
Agreed. It's also funny how some things which one had no interest in in one's youth curiously become more interesting and enjoyable to learn about when you get older.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
A philomath is a lover of learning and studying (and not just maths).
That must be me then Omah !
Havent seen much benefits yet though !

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
'Horses for courses' as they say I married a man who had a brilliant mathematical mind and that is no exaggeration, not many pupils age 14 get offered a place to study at Cambridge.
On the other hand he lacked practical common sense, put a paintbrush in his hand and the end result would make any DIY minded person weep.

I haven't a brain that is wired for maths or academic study, the thought of maths makes my brain cease to function from fear but I have managed to build a 15ft kitchen from scratch (minus the electrics and plumbing) lay tile floors,tile walls, paint and paper to a high standard,cook and sew. I don't like sitting still studying anything, I am more at home in wellingtons walking the muddy fields,training dogs, pulling sheep out of hedges.

I think we need all kinds of people in this world, the academically gifted and the practical and they complement each other .
What a lovely post!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
A philomath is a lover of learning and studying (and not just maths).
Anyone who knows me in the real world will tell you - I have to have something to study or I have withdrawal symptoms. When I left full time formal education I made myself a promise that I would learn/study something new every year - and I have. Sometimes it has been practical, sometimes arty crafty, mostly academic. I have a huge folder full of certificates, diplomas and qualifications - but they are not the real objective.

For me the point is - I just love to learn. The whole process, the hoops the brain has to jump through to achieve, are so completely fascinating!

At the moment it is the social history of the Tudors.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Anyone who knows me in the real world will tell you - I have to have something to study or I have withdrawal symptoms. When I left full time formal education I made myself a promise that I would learn/study something new every year - and I have. Sometimes it has been practical, sometimes arty crafty, mostly academic. I have a huge folder full of certificates, diplomas and qualifications - but they are not the real objective.

For me the point is - I just love to learn. The whole process, the hoops the brain has to jump through to achieve, are so completely fascinating!

At the moment it is the social history of the Tudors.
How do you "choose" you're next area of study/interest? For me, it's sometimes as simple as having read a book has made me want to investigate more about some things that might have cropped up (or just a simple quote from somewhere).
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Stopped being interested in Maths when realising a Logarithm would in due course, be superseded by a Algorithm.
Neither of which is particularly applicable...........................
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

08-08-2020, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
How do you "choose" you're next area of study/interest? For me, it's sometimes as simple as having read a book has made me want to investigate more about some things that might have cropped up (or just a simple quote from somewhere).
Yes - that can do it - sometimes it is just someone will ask me a question which sets off a train of thought. Sometimes I will see an object and wonder how/why/when etc., and have to go find out. I really enjoy - and am good at - research. Often friends will ask me to do things for them - and that can set me off at tangent. Sometimes it seems the subjects choose me! I just love to learn!

Part of that is natural curiosity but a lot of it is due to being blessed with inspirational teachers at Primary level. My last 'school report' had a note from the Headmistress saying 'Tabby absorbs knowledge like a sponge and is a joy to teach'
What better accolade to carry with me always??
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 07:14 PM

Many Multi millionaires ddi not do well at School and even now, some can not read or right.
They of course pay others to do that for them or get their spuse/partnesr to do it
There are no degrees in common sence.

I however belaive in education and as an adult my friend and I jioned sixteen year olds at School to do O /A levels.
I then joined the Open Uiversity to do an Art course and the only one available was 'Third Year Renaissace Painting'
I took a chance and joined.
With the course I got the most wonder full books full of all the famous Renassance painters and the Architect of the famous Churches and buildings Italy.

So when my eighteen year old daughter and I went to Florence, I was able to point out many places of interest,, and visiting the Uffizzi able to name many paintings.

My blonde eighteen year old daughter got lots of attention, and in Restaurants we were offered free Meals, Dolces, and Coffee. We did not take up any offers!
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 07:28 PM

I lost the plot with that, is it the weather affecting posters today? everyone seem to be posting random thoughts that have just popped into their heads

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top