Join for free
Page 5 of 13 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2017, 11:57 PM

Re: Genealogy

That looks like a really interesting website, GPapa, thank you.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2017, 11:36 AM

There is a downside to all this ancestry thing.

My sister decided to dig into our ancestry and it transpires my family can trace its roots to Henry VIII.

This also involved several other families who were offshoots of the direct line.

Now, for me personally, I couldn't give a monkey's toss who was born on which side of what sheets, who begat who - it simply leaves me cold. If it put bread on the table, I might think differently.

Yet I am now finding that a load of strangers to me are claiming ownership to my family, posting images of same, together with photographs of the houses we lived in, without, certainly my, permission, in an orgy of faux snobbery. A quote from Facebook this morning.

"If there was one address that stuck in my head from when I was a child, it was 5 ######## Vale, ##########, ########, Wiltshire. My one Dream to some day meet my family who resided at this address. On the 20/08/2017, this dream came true for me. I got to see The home where my Nana Ella Aline ##### nee Hill and my Aunt Barbara #####nee ##### lived with their family. I have had the pleasure of meeting my cousins Robert #### Mike ###### Tracey ######## and members of their family. Needless to say this trip to the UK has been a memorable and emotional one for me."

What a load of utter, absolute, arrant bollocks!!!!

So beware all you genealogy buffs, you may get what you ask for.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2017, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the info Grandpa re cousin site,
Fogey ...I personally dont have a problem with relatives getting in touch or showing places where i lived , Whether they are strangers to me or not , In fact if you are on Ancestry and had your DNA done as my Brother has he is getting messages from those and is able to add them to our tree , .
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2017, 01:03 PM

Eliza, I have been sucked into this against my will.

I didn't ask for it and I didn't want it and yet photos of me and my family are being bandied about willy nilly on the Internet.

You might not have a problem with that and I'm very pleased for you. But the warning still stands, Caveat Emptor.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2017, 01:17 PM

So what you have to do is send a strong message of disapproval , telling them how upset you are , and ask them not to publish anymore info on you or photos . Or even take them down ..
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2017, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
There is a downside to all this ancestry thing.

My sister decided to dig into our ancestry and it transpires my family can trace its roots to Henry VIII.

This also involved several other families who were offshoots of the direct line.

Now, for me personally, I couldn't give a monkey's toss who was born on which side of what sheets, who begat who - it simply leaves me cold. If it put bread on the table, I might think differently.

Yet I am now finding that a load of strangers to me are claiming ownership to my family, posting images of same, together with photographs of the houses we lived in, without, certainly my, permission, in an orgy of faux snobbery. A quote from Facebook this morning.

"If there was one address that stuck in my head from when I was a child, it was 5 ######## Vale, ##########, ########, Wiltshire. My one Dream to some day meet my family who resided at this address. On the 20/08/2017, this dream came true for me. I got to see The home where my Nana Ella Aline ##### nee Hill and my Aunt Barbara #####nee ##### lived with their family. I have had the pleasure of meeting my cousins Robert #### Mike ###### Tracey ######## and members of their family. Needless to say this trip to the UK has been a memorable and emotional one for me."

What a load of utter, absolute, arrant bollocks!!!!

So beware all you genealogy buffs, you may get what you ask for.
I would not even consider putting any information about myself, my family, or my research anywhere near facebook.
Fogey
Shropshire

03-10-2017, 02:37 PM

And therein lies the rub.

Because of the link to the royal line, a load of chavs have suddenly got the idea they're somebody of note and are shouting it from the treetops.

Doesn't matter they still have to pay the rent arrears, shop at Aldi and live their humdrum lives - they have royle [sic] blood.

Makes me sick!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2017, 03:39 PM

Fogey ... you've truly discovered the downside to family history research.

I have shared one or two photos of shared ancestors online but only after initial tentative contact where we've both established who we are , that's to say, the best you can ever do online.
Even there I've never extended it to pictures of me, or near kin or even anyone living never mind actually divulge personal details of location or addresses.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

03-10-2017, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Fogey ... you've truly discovered the downside to family history research.

I have shared one or two photos of shared ancestors online but only after initial tentative contact where we've both established who we are , that's to say, the best you can ever do online.
Even there I've never extended it to pictures of me, or near kin or even anyone living never mind actually divulge personal details of location or addresses.
Very sensible, Morty.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England

01-12-2017, 07:39 PM

Finally sent my DNA off and now ive got a 6 to 8 week wait , hope it comes in 6 weeks that arrive nicely for my birthday

Page 5 of 13 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top