Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2017, 02:49 PM

My Generosity Nearly Damaged The Engine!

I have a Mini Cooper, that l keep spare if ever my children are without a car. My youngest daughter uses it when she's home.
The other week, she came home from London to travel up in the car to Sheffield to see her friends for the weekend.
Me, in my naivety, thought it best to top up the oil in the engine. So l poured some in and off she went. Everything was ok.
I was telling a friend of mine, that l had put oil in the engine and he checked it. The level was right up to the middle of the dipstick, well past the 'Max' level!
He said it was not good for the engine and drained the surplus off for me!
For these reasons, l thought l would mention it as advice for other ladies who, like me, have no idea about such things!!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2017, 02:55 PM

Re: My Generosity Nearly Damaged The Engine!

I avoid all those shenanigans over motor maintenance ..oil, wipers, de-icer, bald tyres and whatnots.
Chauffeur driven is the way to go.

Mind you, he only pulls up once every half hour and often as not is late, leaving me standing there on the pavement.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2017, 02:57 PM

A real blonde moment.

There are min/max markers anywhere between these is ok....nearer to but beneath max is better.

most cars don't use much oil unless the engine is worn but it's best to check regularly.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2017, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I avoid all those shenanigans over motor maintenance ..oil, wipers, de-icer, bald tyres and whatnots.
Chauffeur driven is the way to go.

Mind you, he only pulls up once every half hour and often as not is late, leaving me standing there on the pavement.
I think you've got sense. The bus is the best way!
The trouble is, whilst shopping l forget l have to carry all the bagfuls of stuff onto the bus! Then, if someone sits by you, you have to load it all onto your lap. Not very nice if all the frozen stuff is at the bottom!
Then you have to carry it all and the plastic handles cut into the palms of your hands or bruise your wrists!!

Yep, advantages and disadvantages, either way!!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2017, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I have a Mini Cooper, that l keep spare if ever my children are without a car. My youngest daughter uses it when she's home.
The other week, she came home from London to travel up in the car to Sheffield to see her friends for the weekend.
Me, in my naivety, thought it best to top up the oil in the engine. So l poured some in and off she went. Everything was ok.
I was telling a friend of mine, that l had put oil in the engine and he checked it. The level was right up to the middle of the dipstick, well past the 'Max' level!
He said it was not good for the engine and drained the surplus off for me!
For these reasons, l thought l would mention it as advice for other ladies who, like me, have no idea about such things!!
You're lucky it's not a diesel, Angel.

If you overfill a diesel with oil, there is a good chance that it will build up in the tops of the cylinders. Then, due to the high compression, the engine will run away.

You can't turn it off; stopping the fuel ingress won't make any difference as the excess oil will provide its own fuel.

I'm reliably informed that you can't even 'stall' it by letting the clutch out, as the engine will have built up so much power. I'm told that the only way to stop it is by plugging the air intake with something.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2017, 03:43 PM

Years ago it would have just blown out of breather but nowadays engines have to consume their own waste. It would have smoked quite nicely for a few miles.
Mind you I have been told that it could be expensive to do this on a diesel.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2017, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
You're lucky it's not a diesel, Angel.

If you overfill a diesel with oil, there is a good chance that it will build up in the tops of the cylinders. Then, due to the high compression, the engine will run away.

You can't turn it off; stopping the fuel ingress won't make any difference as the excess oil will provide its own fuel.

I'm reliably informed that you can't even 'stall' it by letting the clutch out, as the engine will have built up so much power. I'm told that the only way to stop it is by plugging the air intake with something.
I've seen this happen on an old Bedford TK.

The engine goes into reverse cycle.
Revving until it disintegrates.....I don't know the reasons for this but recall the REME guy trying to explain....whooooosh.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2017, 04:58 PM

I seem to remember that too much engine oil can leak onto the clutch and cause it to slip. I don't know if that still happens these days.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2017, 05:06 PM

Of course you should always check the oil levels regularly, best when the engine is cold ( or been left for 20min or so, after a run) I hope you used the correct grade oil ? , it can also damage the engine if the wrong grade is used, on some modern cars they don't have a dipstick, relying on the engine management to check for you, then it will show a message telling you to top up the oil, but there's no dipstick, so how much do you put in??
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

06-07-2017, 05:13 PM

Oh my goodness! I have just seen my spelling of generosity in the title!
I have asked Admin to correct it, in case it is annoying everyone else as it is me!

NB. Thank You Admin, for correcting it so speedily!
What Great service!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top