Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 05:02 PM

Re: Car Service

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Gas? Wow, I didn't know about that. I know nothing about air con as I've never had a car with one.

I'd worry myself silly if I knew gas was around in the car.

Sorry you're having probs Mups.

Thanks Pesta
Yes, it's been a bit of a nightmare.

Fender told me to not bother with it, I should have listened.
On the other hand, if it really was leaking gasses, what would have happened if I hadn't checked?
Would it have been dangerous?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 05:03 PM

How complicated!

Isn't the air con the same as the heater?

You turn it towards blue to belt out cold air, and you turn it towards red to belt out hot air. Several different degrees each way according to how fierce you want the air to be.

Maybe air con is something different?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
How complicated!

Isn't the air con the same as the heater?

You turn it towards blue to belt out cold air, and you turn it towards red to belt out hot air. Several different degrees each way according to how fierce you want the air to be.

Maybe air con is something different?

No, not the same thing Ruthio, but one of the men will have to explain, because I can't.

Where's Fender when we need him?
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 05:08 PM

Slightly off topic Mups,but a question for anyone to answer.

Is it true air con affects petrol consumption, ie more is used?

Similarly, does using the usual fan in cars for heat or cool air etc do the same?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-07-2018, 05:35 PM

I do believe the A/C does affect petrol consumption, yes, Pesta. I have a feeling it increases consumption, but by how much, I haven't a clue.

I wouldn't have thought just using the car heater would at all though, but perhaps Fender or one of the other men here can explain.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thanks Pesta
Yes, it's been a bit of a nightmare.

Fender told me to not bother with it, I should have listened.
On the other hand, if it really was leaking gasses, what would have happened if I hadn't checked?
Would it have been dangerous?
Hiya Mups.
Something doesn't make sense.
A. You said it was working / cooling ok. These hold very little refrigerant. If it was leaking and short, they don't cool - but yours was?
B. Can you ask the garage EXACTLY which seals they are talking about, as they are mostly basic "o-rings" and not costly.
C. Also, what are they talking about "if the pipe breaks"??

No, if it's leaking, it's not dangerous. Once the system has lost a large % of it's charge it will just shut off on a safety switch and not run. However, if a system is leaking, you are "meant" to have it repaired to prevent a knowing loss of refrigerant. That's what they are playing on.

All sounds very suspect to me - like they are having you on to make more money.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 08:11 PM

Slightly off topic Mups,but a question for anyone to answer.

Is it true air con affects petrol consumption, ie more is used?

Similarly, does using the usual fan in cars for heat or cool air etc do the same?
The use of the fan in the car will have no effect on fuel consumption.
Using the a/c, as a rule you'll lose about 2bhp and your fuel consumption will increase by around 5%.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
The use of the fan in the car will have no effect on fuel consumption.
Using the a/c, as a rule you'll lose about 2bhp and your fuel consumption will increase by around 5%.
Thanks fenderbender.... I'll blast the heat in the cold weather then.

Cos, the 'cooler' is less than useless
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

05-07-2018, 10:10 PM

Thanks fenderbender.... I'll blast the heat in the cold weather then.

Cos, the 'cooler' is less than useless
Go for it gal...............
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

11-07-2018, 12:12 AM

To relate the final update on this thread - in post 36 Fender gave me food for thought.
In fact, he ended up phoning the said garage on my behalf, as I found it difficult to argue with them on a subject I know nothing about.

Fender told me he was not impressed with what he was being told, and to cut a long story short, on his recommendation, I booked my car in elsewhere to be check over for a second opinion.

It didn't make sense that my A/C was cooling the car beautifullly when I took my car in to the first garage, yet had completely conked out by the time it came out again!

So, my car has been at the second garage all day today, and they delivered it home for me this afternoon - job done.

I asked about this 'leak' and it seems there wasn't one!
This second garage tested the A/C properly, and refilled it with no gas leaks whatsoever.
Charge was £102 complete, instead of the £235 - £358 that the first garage had quoted to 'fix it.'

The moral of this story is - don't always believe everything you are told at some garages. Do your homework, or speak to someone who knows more than you.

And sadly, there are some tradesmen who will tell women tales to earn extra dosh for themselves or their company, gambling on us ladies not understanding the problem.
My advice is, if you don't know - ask someone who does!

Now I don't know whether I should be telling you this or not, but when I went to pay, I was informed my bill had already been paid.

"Can't be" I said.

The man double checked.

"Yes madam" he says, your friend who spoke to us earlier has already settled the bill."

FENDER! He says he has helped me because he knows about a very difficult, ongoing problem I am enduring over something personal. Maybe I'll be able to tell you one day in the future.

Now before you think I am awful, I have tried to pay back this good deed, but he will not accept payment.
I felt quite overcome as you can imagine. I've never had a Fairy Godfather before!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FENDER - FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE. X X

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top