Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 10:50 AM

Re: Do you record more TV shows and movies than you can watch?

I tend to record movies on DVD, solely to not fill up my hard drive, which contains all manner of bits and pieces. I also record on purpose, any programme containing adverts. I get a shock sometimes when finally getting around to watch a movie, to find it was taped a few years ago!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
We don't need a recording device, we have a smart TV so can watch the things we want on the iplayer.
That won't help you much if the programmes you watch are not on the BBC. I can't remember last time I watched anything on BBC.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
That won't help you much if the programmes you watch are not on the BBC. I can't remember last time I watched anything on BBC.

Most of what we watch is on the BBC, but of course ITV has an iplayer facility too, and there are certain things we watch on that too.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 08:31 PM

My TV is smart too and has all the catch-up facilities but there are many channels which don't offer this service hence the DVR.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2018, 12:39 AM

I have a couple of Topfield DVRs still connected to my TVs but I can't remember the last time I actually used them to record a program.

If I miss a program because I was out I watch it on iView later, if it is a TV series which I particularly want to watch then I just download it from the the Interweb thing and store it on my server to watch on a rainy day.

These DVRs are going the way of floppy disks - if mine fails I definitely wouldn't replace it.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2018.10.12_10h43m57s_001_.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	7580  
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

12-10-2018, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I have a couple of Topfield DVRs still connected to my TVs but I can't remember the last time I actually used them to record a program.

If I miss a program because I was out I watch it on iView later, if it is a TV series which I particularly want to watch then I just download it from the the Interweb thing and store it on my server to watch on a rainy day.

These DVRs are going the way of floppy disks - if mine fails I definitely wouldn't replace it.
I like my DVR as it has replaced the interface of my TV which isn't very good, anyway. The EPG is in grey, for example and the DVR is faster and sleeker. I'm only just getting back into TV viewing after a 7 year absence. If I wanted to watch a programme or film I could generally find it on my MacBook somehow, but the TV offers greater versatility.

I can't imagine having that many movies or TV series. My DVR is only 500GB, plus I've got another 500GB hard drive which is only a tenth full.

You and I have about the same amount of music, though. Even though I subscribe to Google Play Music for new music and to listen to their playlists, I'm glad I've got a 256GB phone to listen to music offline. It is of great benefit when I'm outside and don't want to use up my mobile data streaming music. I haven't quite gotten around to putting all my music on there yet but must have around 50 or so GB on there which is plenty for now.

I almost bought the 512GB model but sense prevailed. Some people call me mad for the price I did pay, anyway. 64GB was becoming a tight squeeze. I don't store TV shows on my iPhone XS Max though but perhaps I will as the screen is great.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top