Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2019, 09:59 AM

Re: Early whales

Interesting, but after so many species developing ( from a single celled amoeba) how did the species change in so many different ways. How did a fish grow into a giraffe and how is it that we (humans) have developed into the dominant and still the only species able to communicate on so many different levels ?

There seems to be nothing in between that can identify the transitions from one species to another.

Far too many questions
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2019, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Interesting, but after so many species developing ( from a single celled amoeba) how did the species change in so many different ways. How did a fish grow into a giraffe and how is it that we (humans) have developed into the dominant and still the only species able to communicate on so many different levels ?

There seems to be nothing in between that can identify the transitions from one species to another.

Far too many questions
Lot of hows and why's PD, As regards species development
it is thought that different environments had a large part
to play in species developing differently. Another factor could
be radiation causing mutation and also slowly progressing
Climate change which causes environmental change.
The key is SLOW change
And limitless time.

Best Regards, Donkeyman.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2019, 11:21 AM

I suppose there's always the possibility man could have descended from clams ?

Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2019, 11:44 AM

I suppose there's always the possibility man could have ascended from clams ?

For surePuddleduck in the way distant past we shared an ancestor with the clams. Our ancestors evolved one way and the clams the other. Needs must in order to survive you could say. This is a fascinating subject to me and one I have loved since I was a child.

Start off with the link I gave you and shuttle back and forwards. As the link says it is in bite sized pieces and is intended for GCSE students, so should be reasonably easy to understand. Happy reading - There is loads of information out there about this most absorbing of subjects for those who are interested enough - the link only scratches the surface, providing an outline, but there is plenty within the links to go at. We all should know and understand our origins IMO.

https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/guides/zt4f8mn/revision/2
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2019, 01:58 PM

I suppose there's always the possibility man could have descended from clams ?

Some of us did. PD

Regards bDonkeyman.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

09-04-2019, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Some of us did. PD

Regards bDonkeyman.
Hence your name !
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

09-04-2019, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
For surePuddleduck in the way distant past we shared an ancestor with the clams. Our ancestors evolved one way and the clams the other. Needs must in order to survive you could say. This is a fascinating subject to me and one I have loved since I was a child.

Start off with the link I gave you and shuttle back and forwards. As the link says it is in bite sized pieces and is intended for GCSE students, so should be reasonably easy to understand. Happy reading - There is loads of information out there about this most absorbing of subjects for those who are interested enough - the link only scratches the surface, providing an outline, but there is plenty within the links to go at. We all should know and understand our origins IMO.

https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/guides/zt4f8mn/revision/2
I shall have a look at that later Aerolor, thanks. It is a fascinating subject, and I was looking yesterday at what they consider our closest relatives, which is the bonobo ape. They certainly seem to have more characteristics aligned to us than chimps.

You are probably wondering where my thought process has come from ... well, although I follow Christianity, I have great trouble in the Adam and Eve synopsis and just can't process it at all. (although I still have just as much difficulty that we all emerged from an amoeba. )
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2019, 07:18 PM

I shall have a look at that later Aerolor, thanks. It is a fascinating subject, and I was looking yesterday at what they consider our closest relatives, which is the bonobo ape. They certainly seem to have more characteristics aligned to us than chimps.

You are probably wondering where my thought process has come from ... well, although I follow Christianity, I have great trouble in the Adam and Eve synopsis and just can't process it at all. (although I still have just as much difficulty that we all emerged from an amoeba. )

Apparently the chimp and the bonobo share 99% of our dna - quite a sobering thought. As you are probably aware I don't follow any religion - The power of mother nature and father time is where I place my faith, but you have to consider them in conjunction - the one is not powerful without the other.

Try this Puddleduck. (hope you don't fall asleep through boredom).
http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20161...on-earth-began

Realist might like to take a look/see, if he stays the course until he reaches Oparin & Haldane, Miller and Urey.

Unfortunately my level of education is not sufficient to easily absorb much what has been discovered and what scientists are going on to discover, but if I take it slowly I can understand a fair bit. Trouble is I wish I had had the resource I was younger - mind you a lot of this stuff was not known when I was young and in education. Our knowledge of te world and universe is continually being added to and moves on all the time.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

09-04-2019, 09:35 PM

Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 12:34 PM

Far too many questions
Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Lot of hows and why's PD, As regards species development
it is thought that different environments had a large part
to play in species developing differently. Another factor could
be radiation causing mutation and also slowly progressing
Climate change which causes environmental change.
The key is SLOW change
And limitless time.

Best Regards, Donkeyman.
Yes,, as Donkeyman said, it is slow change.we are talking millions and millions of years.

Little mutations occur (and still do). Some of those little mutations conferred an advantage to the organism, and so they prospered.
Some mutations might confer a disadvantage, and so those organisms died out.
Other mutations were neutral and so stayed, resulting maybe in different species of the same creature.

If the environment changed, those organisms best equipped to cope with that change survived and prospered. Others didn't and died out, so the ones that could cope passed on their genes.

And so it went on...... little mutations, changes in environment, over and over again over thousands of millions of years.

Mind-boggling, due to the vast stretches of time involved, but quite understandable.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top