Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 11:24 AM

Re: Vpn

Hi

If you want to make sure that everyone and their mother starts to keep an eye on you get a VPN.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

If you want to make sure that everyone and their mother starts to keep an eye on you get a VPN.
They do that already, hence the preponderance of encrypted https: web addresses, increased use of encrypted mobile services such as WhatsApp and the escalation of the use of VPNs. Governments and their lackeys shouldn't be allowed to keep unlimited records of their citizens on the assumption that they are all guilty of something. This is another step towards a totalitarian state where the minutia of everyone's daily lives are put under the microscope.

It could be argued that the increased use of, and encouragement to use broadband is being used as a tool to increase this surveillance as a BB connection gives you a fixed and static IP address in contrast to the old dial-up system where you had to wait for a space in the internet traffic to log in thus giving you a different IP address every time and one that disappeared when you logged off and then given to someone else.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
They do that already, hence the preponderance of encrypted https: web addresses, increased use of encrypted mobile services such as WhatsApp and the escalation of the use of VPNs. Governments and their lackeys shouldn't be allowed to keep unlimited records of their citizens on the assumption that they are all guilty of something. This is another step towards a totalitarian state where the minutia of everyone's daily lives are put under the microscope.

It could be argued that the increased use of, and encouragement to use broadband is being used as a tool to increase this surveillance as a BB connection gives you a fixed and static IP address in contrast to the old dial-up system where you had to wait for a space in the internet traffic to log in thus giving you a different IP address every time and one that disappeared when you logged off and then given to someone else.
Good retort.

To some on this site that they are only think about their nickers TAKE NOTE
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Have decided to get one.

Which do you think is the best and for my I pad as well.

That lets me pick other countries as my ISP?
I use this mob:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

They cost about US$50 a year and part of the reason I use them is that they provide a proxy service for your torrent program so that you don't have to use the VPN service all the time because your Torrent prog can happily use the proxy all by itself without the VPN slowing your normal use of the computer down.

They have outlets in many countries though I tend to only use Swiss, Netherlands and Japan because they have laws about data protection and disclosure - some are better than others. Having said that I doubt that it is worth worrying about anyway if you are only concerned about companies pursuing breaches of intellectual property rights (they are not the NSA)

I also map their VPN to Australia, USA and UK to overcome geographical location anomalies and also so that Google and Hotmail don't bar me when I am travelling overseas.

They seem pretty reliable and fast (relatively) I think I have only had one problem connecting to a particular site in the many years I have been using them.

No doubt old misery guts will come up with dire warnings about how they are not safe, you can be traced and all his usual waffle but just treat it as background noise as I doubt you are involved in terrorism so you can feel pretty secure.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

That is just fearmongering and a nonsense.

There are plenty of 'legitimate' uses for VPN most/many businesses use them for their business.

I have one set up on my router (nothing to do with the paid VPN service I mentioned previously) for when I am using something like my local library's wifi, in fact you would be foolish not to in my opinion.

Using VPN sets off no flags at all it is far too common.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2019.05.04_16h15m32s_001_.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	9498  
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I use this mob:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

No doubt old misery guts will come up with dire warnings about how they are not safe, you can be traced and all his usual waffle but just treat it as background noise as I doubt you are involved in terrorism so you can feel pretty secure.
Think my main point was

I Have use Torrents sites for 10 years would never thought to use a VPN

What pisses me off is the restrictions placed on me from other countries and also the UK.

OK I play a lot of poker online on internet sites... I go to America and am banned by those sites that allow me to play in the UK ...BUT if I get a server from Canada can play.

Also if in the UK and use an American server can play the three States that allow Americans to play Poker on line.

Years ago American poker players when banned those near Mexico move 4 days a week to Mexico to play on line.

Couple of years ago was playing live in Vegas and a player from Texas said he used a VPN from Canada to still carry on playing poker on the Internet he had a Canadian bank account to pay for and to withdraw any of his winnings
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 05:11 AM

Hi

It is not fearmongering, it is a simple fact of life.

It is targeted, much like stop and search for knives.

You will not get stop and search on the way into a WI Meeting in a Rural Village.

You will get it late at night in an Inner City Area with a known history.

It is not just Terrorists who use VPNs, it is also Criminals, People Traffickers, Drugs, Paedophiles.

You will therefore be targeted.

The Security Services could not give a damn about you downloading or streaming, water off a Ducks Back.

They could also not give a damn about you arranging a 3some with the local vicars wife.

They are looking for threats, simple as, patterns, links to certain known people, sites and groups.

Is the Technology open to abuse?

It most certainly is, used by certain Governments to suppress free speech and dissent.

I can only speak for here in the UK.

We have RIPA, seriously tightened up, and yes, the system was abused before it was.

I am cool about the checks and balances we have here.

They are far stricter than they used to be.

I used to be able to sign my own RIPAs, when I was working.

Now long gone.

I recognise that it is a topic for discussion on the rights and wrongs of the system.

I do not use a VPN and I stream F1.

Your Security Services could not be bothered about that at all.

I am an Ex Employee, so everything I view and post on line is viewed.

I have a very boring life, so nobody is interested at all.

It just sails through the filters.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top