Join for free
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 07:39 PM

Bird rescue

I heard noises coming from our wood burner and guessed a bird had fallen down the flue and got it's silly self stuck.
Usually birds end up stuck above the baffle plate, but this time it was sat on the wood and flew out as soon as I opened the door.

I put the dog in the kitchen, shutting the doors as I went so it didn't fly upstairs. The bird that is, not the dog.
I then grabbed my trusty camera and opened the door to the back of the house, intending to herd it to the back door so I could let it out.

A few shots as it flew around the room, ignoring the open door.

Then it decided to fly through the cable slot of our TV cabinet before I opened the doors and managed to persuade it to fly back out again.

This time it flew straight through to our extension at the back so I quickly followed it, shutting doors behind me as I went.

At this point I managed to chuck the dog's towel over it and then pick it up.

I took it outside and put it next to the bird bath at which point thankfully it flew away.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 10:41 PM

Re: Bird rescue

What a daft House Sparrow. Super you caught it & set it free though, good for you.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 11:50 PM

how tweet
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 04:18 AM

Oh my. I had no idea birds could get in through the flute of a wood stove.
That’s a scary thought but you handled this so well. Great pictures you got of the sparrow and your house looks fabulous.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 10:02 AM

We called it Jack, a-cause it got itself into a life and death mess and the drama involved in getting out of it.

There is a cowl on the chimley pot but it's open underneath the cap so birds can easily get inside.

It's the second sparrow we have had in the firebox in about ten years. I have no idea if any other birds have perished in the flue itself.

When I lived with my parents in Doncaster we had a bird fall down the chimley. Whilst open at the top, the gas fire had been removed and the fireplace boarded over and papered to match the rest of the room.
My Dad very carefully cut a hole in the bottom of the board and managed to safely extract the little fellow.

He also caught a mole one day that had been burrowing up and down his rows of vegetables. The seeds had been sown in compost that attracted worms and grubs and the mole just followed the trail of food conveniently laid out in rows.

He put the mole in a clear pyrex dish with a lid, went down the street to show the neighbours kids what a live mole looked like, then released it the other side of the railway line that our house backed onto as there was no way it would be able to get back to our garden through a load of ballast.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2019, 10:21 PM

Well rescued

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top