Join for free
Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >
issi
scotland
issi is female  issi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 01:04 PM

Re: what are your fears

AnnieS that was a very wise answer, I agree with you.
issi
scotland
issi is female  issi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 01:11 PM

Floydy, its the aftermath of the deaths of loved ones that really a killer, knocks fear off the board.
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 02:54 PM

Living to long with no pill to take so I could go quick
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
If it's a toss up between you and a nice juicy steak Besoeker, I'd be brushing up on my self defence...
My point is that there easier targets than an old bloke with a big dog.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
There is a simulator the same size as a real Aircraft, it is used to train pilots, but, also to help those with a fear of flying.
I have been in it several times. Not for fear, but other stuff.
Can't remotely see how a simulator can help someone with a fear of flying or even a rational aversion to flying based on safety/backup reasons. A simulator never leaves the ground.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
It's not so much the plane, it's being enclosed with no way out for hours really. It doesn't matter though as I need never to get on a plane. Specially at my age.
That's not a fear Tiffany. It's rational instinct born out of thinking ahead and assessing possible outcomes. You're totally right, there's no way out once you get on a plane and it takes off. Nothing you can do regardless of what happens.

That's not fear, it's natural rational concern. Standing on the edge of a high cliff you should get an instinct for danger, even though you are standing on firm ground. You are thinking about the situation, what could happen, what might happen and if it did, what would be your backup/safety options. That's not fear. It is very rational sensible thinking.

With aircraft there are many many things to assess.

- Not being able to get out
- Is the airline cutting costs and corners?
- What happens if an engine fails?
- What happens if all the engines fail?
- What happens if the pilot is drunk or suicidal?
- What happens if the plane structural integrity fails?
- What happens if there's a nutter on board who kicks off?
- What happens if there's a terrorist on board?
- What happens if there is Windsheer or other very bad weather?

and so on

None of this is fear. It's sensible rational thinking which anyone should assess before putting their lives in the hands of others.

Statistically, flying is supposed to be the safest form of transport but that's a statistic predicated on a specific way of assessing things. There are other ways.

For example

When the primary engine of the mode of transport fails, which is the safest form of transport?

In a car, you roll to the side of the road
On a train you roll to a stop
On a ship you drift to a stop
On a plane you fall 30,000 ft to a horrid death

Other ways to assess

In the event of a terrible accident, not prevention but in an actual accident, what life saving safety protection exists?

In a car you have seat belts, air bags, crumple zones, automatic fuel cut-offs and so on
On a ship you have life jackets, lifeboats, life rafts and many other measures
On a train there is not much at all, no seat belts, passengers would go flying but many would survive albeit injured
On a plane you'll crash from 30,000 ft with nothing but a seat belt and a seat designed to reduce injury, not much of a comfort!

Flying is one of the only forms of transport where if an accident DOES ACTUALLY OCCUR, you're pretty much Daffy Ducked. All the money is spent on trying to prevent accidents from occurring in the first place. Thus when an accident does occur there's really no backup. There exist parachute systems which can be built into the aircraft and which would deploy automatically and see the aircraft float to the ground. Unfortunately they are expensive and so airlines don't install them. Safety is NOT their primary concern. Money is.

Therefore don't worry about flying imho. You don't have fears you have valid rational concerns. They have to be assessed alongside how badly and how quickly you want to get somewhere.

For myself, I will travel by ship every time. Far safer, a brilliant way to travel, never tire of it.

Of course that's not practical for very long journeys if you need to get somewhere quickly. Horses for courses.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 04:53 PM

My wife's cooking I fear that the most
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
That's not a fear Tiffany. It's rational instinct born out of thinking ahead and assessing possible outcomes.
Instinct isn't rational.
Looking at the stats is.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I suppose my biggest fear is the future, not knowing what will happen to me when I get old. I always fear that I will end up sleeping on the street.
what do you mean 'When' I get old......You're on here aren't you?.....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Don't worry, there's an old sleeping bag in the loft, and I'm sure we could rig up a little tent...

We could all take it in turns to take him a sarnie and a flask too.

Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top