Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 05:24 AM

Re: Suffering fools

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
That's why it's so important to work on the basis of probabilities.

For example as more and more is discovered about the emergence of the four dimensions of the observable universe so the probability of a "creator" diminishes as the need for a placeholder is replaced by greater understanding.
Agreed! It is the world of quantum mechanics in which I am every struggling to learn.

Then there is the non-observable which brings the philosophical and scientific questions of not only whether or not probabilities can be assigned, but also whether or not they should even be considered.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->

I agree. Knowledge is never foolish. Having it about anything is never foolish. It does not weigh anything. And in most cases it doesn't cost anything. All you have to do is stay awake, listen and observe. My main point here is that people sometimes develop a habit of seeing everybody who doesn't agree with them, behave like them, Do what they would do or of having different political, social or spiritual views as "fools" and "morons". I have done reasonably well in life by adhering to the principle that I can learn something from everybody I meet. I believe people are good, bad, apathetic, power hungry, manipulative, altruistic blah blah blah. I believe some are saints and some are pure evil. But I think they are very seldom fools or morons. As far as IQ goes, most of us fall within one standard deviation from centre in the bell shaped curve.People with the view that everybody is stupid just indicate they have a closed mind and consequently miss out on a lot. JMO Being able to criticise oneself however is entirely different. If I had a dollar for every time I've done things that I thought were foolish, I would be a very rich man.
Keezoy, I fully agree with you that there is something to be gained from everyone. However, while the endeavor of acquiring knowledge is never foolish, sometimes knowledge (as it is commonly considered as fact at the time) is, as is using knowledge excessively for power or other self-serving motives.

We once gave people mercury to cure everything from diarrhea to syphillis because it was common knowledge that it had curative properties, and the Catholic Church didn't play nice with Galileo because, at the time, Ptolemy's geocentric model was widely accepted as the absolute knowledge (even though Aristarchus of Samos had developed a heliocentric model hundreds of years beforehand).

We might not know in the moment that knowledge is foolish, but it can certainly turn out to be the case. This is why treating knowledge as absolute can be just as foolish as ignorance can turn out to be. I wonder what knowledge we hold now that future generations will find foolish? What a good thing it is that we keep seeking!

I guarantee that when it comes to being foolish, I would be richer than you.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 08:15 AM

One thing is for certain (as certain as certain can be), "There is no Fool, like an Old Fool".
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 08:23 AM

I understand SM but I guess what I'm thinking about with respect to knowledge is the process of inquiry in pursuit of it. Not knowledge or about particular things or phenomena that may in fact be true or untrue. In other words I suppose should have made that more clear. I think the pursuit of knowledge is never foolish. If one hangs on to beliefs that are erroneous or not totally proven beyond doubt; or are actually proven to be wrong then that is foolish. Make sense?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
One thing is for certain (as certain as certain can be), "There is no Fool, like an Old Fool".
Well I can't argue with that. I'm 67. Where do I stand I wonder?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 08:37 AM

I understand SM but I guess what I'm thinking about with respect to knowledge is the process of inquiry in pursuit of it. Not knowledge or about particular things or phenomena that may in fact be true or untrue. In other words I suppose should have made that more clear. I think the pursuit of knowledge is never foolish. If one hangs on to beliefs that are erroneous or not totally proven beyond doubt; or are actually proven to be wrong then that is foolish. Make sense?
It don't make sense to argue with your Gut.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 09:01 AM

Well I can't argue with that. I'm 67. Where do I stand I wonder?
Young at heart and very handsome!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Agreed! It is the world of quantum mechanics in which I am every struggling to learn.

Then there is the non-observable which brings the philosophical and scientific questions of not only whether or not probabilities can be assigned, but also whether or not they should even be considered.
A good place to start is to play with the Schrödinger equations. They're not exactly simple to visualise but do form a good entry point into quantum physics.

Clever guy but a bastard where cats were concerned.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 10:29 AM

To say you do not suffer fools gladly is saying you don't consider yourself a fool and let's face it we are fools at some stages of our lives....
keezoy
Australia

17-01-2020, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Young at heart and very handsome!
AW shucks. I bet you say that to all the guys ST But keep on with those beautiful lies.

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top