Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 07:50 AM

Re: Has social media created a generation of lazy people?

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Social Media is like any other Human Dilemma, you can carve out a safe haven if you choose, in all the chaos, that is going on around, or, just ignore per se.
Exactly! But you learn a lot about human nature just from reading.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Exactly! But you learn a lot about human nature just from reading.
Agreed, the Web or the Street, the jury is probably still out.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 08:37 AM

Haw! bring it on Liloo. Damn the "moderation" . I don't want your pity!.. I dare you to engage me with all your cannons until one of us is banned. If you win you can have me flogged through the fleet. A fitting punishment for a filthy colonial pig innit? You said "one final word of advice" ? What is it? I'm just havin a laff here at your "convict/ colonial joke".. A real thighslapper. I've never heard that before. And I still can't find that damned any key.

PS. By the way..time out!..You're not having a lend of me are you?...Are you joking or are you serious. Because if you are serious, I'm sorry but I can't take you as seriously as you're taking yourself. So I'll just say you are 100% correct with every single thing you say. You win! Doesn't matter to me really. Have a great day.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

Increasingly, I see posts asking silly questions such as 'Can someone tell me if the chip shop is open?' or 'Does anyone have the number for the pizza shop?' or 'Is there anyone who can take my rubbish to the tip?'

I'm up for helping where I can but I do think these people are just being lazy. I mean a quick Google normally gives the opening times of a shop. As for 'Is the chippy open?'.... get off your back side and take a look. You can walk from one end of the town to the other in ten minutes.
I log on to our local Nextdoor site site most days, and there are people asking for help. Some are plain lazy but mostly I feel they are justified. The folk asking if the pizza joint is open tend to be the ones who'd like to see it closed down for good.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Do you know, Dongle, I was just asked to write a review for something I bought, and after carefully wording what I wanted to say, I typed it all out, went to send it - and couldn't.

It said you have to either sign in to a goodlle account, or send it through Facebook, Instatgram or Twitter!
How stooopid. I don't do any of those and am not likely to either.
I felt quite cross after taking the time to think about it and write, only to have to delete it again.

I seem to be one of the very small number of people who don't 'do' Facebook. It doesn't interest me.
Facebook, Instatgram, Twitter, I don't do any of them either. And I have, like you Mups, been in the situation where I couldn't log into something because of it. I am a member of Google though, and have used that in the past. The irony is ... I think it's supposed to confirm people are genuine, discourage spammers and prevent people commenting more than once, but I doubt it does. Many sites say members have to use their real names and therefore only have one account but do they? I don't use my real name on Nextdoor, the name of my street is correct but no house number.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Yes it has. It's also dangerous. It removes the responsibility of modifying the way you treat people like you have to do face to face. It has created a kind of alternate universe where manners don't matter. THis site is social media. It's fun most of the time but I cringe at the way people speak to each other sometimes. People call each other and their opinions "Rubbish" and "Bollocks"..etc What ever happened to.."I disagree and here's why". Reasonable criticism is one thing. Like "I think you're drawing a long bow" or "I don't see how you can come to that conclusion". But telling somebody what they think or believe is "garbage" always angers me. And simply saying "I shoot from the hip" , "you're a bit thin skinned" just doesn't cut it IMO. Social media is useful but not when it rules us. And it's not just the latest generation either. It makes everybody lazy. Even the President of the United States.
"Rubbish" and "Bollocks" ... Pah, nothing wrong with that mate. It's how people respond in real life, 'tis out my neck of the woods.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Haw! bring it on Liloo. Damn the "moderation" . I don't want your pity!.. I dare you to engage me with all your cannons until one of us is banned. If you win you can have me flogged through the fleet. A fitting punishment for a filthy colonial pig innit? You said "one final word of advice" ? What is it? I'm just havin a laff here at your "convict/ colonial joke".. A real thighslapper. I've never heard that before. And I still can't find that damned any key.

PS. By the way..time out!..You're not having a lend of me are you?...Are you joking or are you serious. Because if you are serious, I'm sorry but I can't take you as seriously as you're taking yourself. So I'll just say you are 100% correct with every single thing you say. You win! Doesn't matter to me really. Have a great day.
Calm down Keezy or you'll do yourself an injury!

I'll repeat myself just this once: "You learn a lot about human nature from reading posts!"
Lindyloo
isle of wight

17-01-2020, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I log on to our local Nextdoor site site most days, and there are people asking for help. Some are plain lazy but mostly I feel they are justified. The folk asking if the pizza joint is open tend to be the ones who'd like to see it closed down for good.

I can't get on with the Nextdoor site. The security is extreme! But I sometimes read the posts - some are great for recommendations for plumbers, electricians etc etc.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 09:21 AM

Calm down Keezy or you'll do yourself an injury!

I'll repeat myself just this once: "You learn a lot about human nature from reading posts!"
As I said, 100% correct LL. Hopefully we all learn something from everybody..as I said. NOw if you'll excuse me I have to go and feed my colonial filth of a family (I do the cooking) And I have to say that we serve a damned fine swill at our place. If you're ever slumming it down under, come and have a bowl.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

17-01-2020, 09:34 AM

I can't get on with the Nextdoor site. The security is extreme! But I sometimes read the posts - some are great for recommendations for plumbers, electricians etc etc.
If you are reading the posts, then you've got passed security ... haven't you??

I tend to be wary of the recommendations, but they are helpful so long as know who's doing the recommending. Some neighbours are trying to be good neighbours by dishing out recommendations but ...

I had a blocked drain, dynorod charge £150+, a local bloke with rods (thru Nextdoor) charged £20, I gave him £40. So it is, or can be, useful.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 10:39 AM

Some time ago we had a car left on a double yellow line on a junction, several phone pictures and comments later suggesting that the driver should be dragged to hell for creating such a stir, it emerged that the driver had been taken ill and was carted off by ambulance. It seems that everyone is a budding reporter.

Last year we needed the services of the fire brigade (not a fire I'm glad to say) but the fireman asked if it was ok to put the event on the local facebook page before everyone else did, getting the all details wrong.

Back to the question.... There was someone on there a short while ago asking if anyone was going past the airport and could they give them a lift? For a start, I wouldn't rely on a stranger to pick me up on time but secondly I wouldn't dream of asking. If I can afford a flight, I can afford a cab.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top