Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 12:54 PM

Scotland Ban Smacking

It is now a crime to smack your child. I suppose the law will be passed in England soon too.

I was slapped as a child and I have no ill feelings towards my Mother as I believe she was acting in my best interests, the odd slap helped to teach me right from wrong and I turned out ok.

Of course I don't agree with beatings but sometimes a short, sharp slap on the bottom or the legs is the only message that some children understand as words or other forms of discipline don't always seem to get through.

It has been said that smacking can make the children aggressive, it certainly never made me aggressive.

I think there is a fine line between discipline and abuse.
Should't that be up to the parents how they choose to discipline their own children as they see fit?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-49908849
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 02:07 PM

Re: Scotland Ban Smacking

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
It is now a crime to smack your child. I suppose the law will be passed in England soon too.

I was slapped as a child and I have no ill feelings towards my Mother as I believe she was acting in my best interests, the odd slap helped to teach me right from wrong and I turned out ok.

Of course I don't agree with beatings but sometimes a short, sharp slap on the bottom or the legs is the only message that some children understand as words or other forms of discipline don't always seem to get through.

It has been said that smacking can make the children aggressive, it certainly never made me aggressive.

I think there is a fine line between discipline and abuse.
Should't that be up to the parents how they choose to discipline their own children as they see fit?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-49908849
Exactly - a big difference from a quickly forgotten smack and kicking the shit out of a child or even worse chucking them into a cupboard or in some cases, a cage. If a child was persistently reaching for some dangerous or harmful object despite instructions not to do so, would you keep on trying the same non-effective tactic or give their hands a quick slap?
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 02:09 PM

Exactly - a big difference from a quickly forgotten smack and kicking the shit out of a child or even worse chucking them into a cupboard or in some cases, a cage. If a child was persistently reaching for some dangerous or harmful object despite instructions not to do so, would you keep on trying the same non-effective tactic or give their hands a quick slap?

Exactly - just another piece of nonsense from the party led by the poisoned dwarf!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 03:10 PM

My upbringing was by two parents who were strict but fair. I received the odd smack across the back of the legs, although it was quickly forgotten. Usually it was the stern, disapproving voice that was enough to achieve the objective at the time. In later years I never thought of this as wrong, it was part of learning discipline and also respect for what was right and wrong and for my parents. Fast-forward many decades to when I had a daughter. She was a trained NNEB nursery nurse (Nursery Nursing Examination Board) working with pre-school birth to five-year-old children. We often discussed her training and days at work. I always disagreed with her when informed she was not allowed to smack children, instead she was taught to use a stern tone of voice and facial expression denoting disapproval. My comment always was that occasional smacks I received as a child did me no harm. However, in the course of discussing this the basic reasons behind not smacking emerged and is something I saw and could understand.

While I reckoned my experience of being smacked did me no harm, that was me and not another child, one who perhaps thought differently or had a different upbringing. We are all similar but so very different and a child who was smacked could very easily learn, and we all learn by example often from parents and those around us, that the way to make someone do what we want them to is by using physical violence. The result is that child has learned by example about physical violence as a way of getting what is wanted so may well go on to use violence as an adult.

It is basic psychology and thinking about it in that way it’s possible to see why my daughter was trained that way. The training she received was in how to look after other people’s children and her own too, when that time came. If an adult has to resort to smacking a child then it is the adult at fault as they have had to resort to that physical action.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 03:32 PM

My dad hit us all a lot he was an angry man we were scared of dad . Mind you we 7 kids were an awful lot and probably deserved dad's temper . 5 boys and 2 girls . He was a shouty dad too and liked to use a stick on us . But although it was harsh we grew up decent hardworking people .

I did smack my kids on the legs which I now regret deeply . My grandchildren will never be and have never been smacked they are beautiful polite girls .

I do believe boundaries need to be set . I dont believe children should receive THE BEST of everything or everything they want .

I dont know what the answer is but I hate violence and I hate bullies
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
My dad hit us all a lot he was an angry man we were scared of dad . Mind you we 7 kids were an awful lot and probably deserved dad's temper . 5 boys and 2 girls . He was a shouty dad too and liked to use a stick on us . But although it was harsh we grew up decent hardworking people .

I did smack my kids on the legs which I now regret deeply . My grandchildren will never be and have never been smacked they are beautiful polite girls .

I do believe boundaries need to be set . I dont believe children should receive THE BEST of everything or everything they want .

I dont know what the answer is but I hate violence and I hate bullies
Perhaps the reason for you being that way is as a result of how you describe your childhood? Had you been a different child that could so easily have gone a different way with you learning physical violence by example as I mentioned.

Personally I have no time for violence and believe in the need for boundaries in all behaviour with consequences for failing to keep within them, and also respect for other people. Today's ways seem to be where the exact opposite is the case, with the resulting problems we see in society. A lot of parents will take the easy way out of bringing up youngsters which does them and society no favours whatsoever.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 04:34 PM

Is it just me that thought this was made illegal years ago?
Baz46

03-10-2019, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Is it just me that thought this was made illegal years ago?
Yes, you are correct it was made illegal a while ago except under certain circumstances, see link below which explains more:

https://www.localsolicitors.com/fami...ing-your-child

If it is a childminder or nursery worker looking after other people's children it is illegal under any circumstances, unless the parent has given permission, for that to happen:

https://childlawadvice.org.uk/inform...king-children/
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 05:02 PM

At what stage does a firm and cautionary/advisory tap become a smack?
Baz46

03-10-2019, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
At what stage does a firm and cautionary/advisory tap become a smack?
According to the links I posted previously that is a 'grey area' of the law as 'reasonable punishment' has not been defined within the law on smacking children.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top