Join for free
Page 4 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 05:08 PM

Re: US trade deal

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have said exactly the same to people before now.

I'd be very happy to agree trade arrangements with America and, for that matter, any other country - including the EU!

What the remoaners fail to realise is that a trade agreement does not oblige us as individuals to buy products that we do not want!

I'd also question their aversion to chlorination of chicken. I can only assume that they are unaware of the fact that the water they take from their taps (or faucets!) contains chlorine!
Remainers are the stereotypical little Englander.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 05:15 PM

I wouldn't mind being able to easily buy some American foods. They have a corn bread mix that I have never been able to replicate.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'd also question their aversion to chlorination of chicken. I can only assume that they are unaware of the fact that the water they take from their taps (or faucets!) contains chlorine!
You miss the point. Chlorine in itself is no problem, it dissipates as a gas during preparation.
The point is that desinfecting the meat is required to make it safe for consumption. No method is fail safe, so infection with salmonella can happen. The consequences of salmonella can be severe, every year some 450 people die from it in the usa. Almost 85% of salmonella poisoning is caused by food.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
You miss the point. Chlorine in itself is no problem, it dissipates as a gas during preparation.
The point is that desinfecting the meat is required to make it safe for consumption. No method is fail safe, so infection with salmonella can happen. The consequences of salmonella can be severe, every year some 450 people die from it in the usa. Almost 85% of salmonella poisoning is caused by food.
So you would rather people died than ate chlorinated chicken. Odd stance to take.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I wouldn't mind being able to easily buy some American foods. They have a corn bread mix that I have never been able to replicate.
Try this mix, specially made for us army base personnel.
https://www.supermarktcheck.de/produ...hung-mit-hefe-
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 05:41 PM

So you would rather people died than ate chlorinated chicken. Odd stance to take.
How did you come to that conclusion?

Quite a lot of people do die of salmonella poisoning from eating chlorinated chicken every year in the US when the process of chlorination had failed to kill off the bacteria because it is not a reliable method

The issue is about the standards of welfare in which these chickens are raised that necessitates chlorinating them as opposed to the UK’s higher welfare standards that treats three animals with more respect and has the aim of eradicating salmonella from the commercial flocks

So why would you support the lowering our standards?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

26-08-2019, 05:44 PM

You too miss the point. Chickenmeat available under the EU regulations, applied in the UK too, are so hygienic that desinfecting the meat is not necessary. So chicken meat produced anywhere in the EU is safe to eat without that precautionary treatment with chlorine.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

26-08-2019, 05:53 PM

Oh I probably do miss the point it's never occurred to me to eat chicken since I was about 12 and any I cooked was cooked properly. Properly cooked chicken should not kill anyone.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
You too miss the point. Chickenmeat available under the EU regulations, applied in the UK too, are so hygienic that desinfecting the meat is not necessary. So chicken meat produced anywhere in the EU is safe to eat without that precautionary treatment with chlorine.

That's utter bollocks.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 06:06 PM

Oh I probably do miss the point it's never occurred to me to eat chicken since I was about 12 and any I cooked was cooked properly. Properly cooked chicken should not kill anyone.
Very wise Julie, I don't eat chicken the very smell of it cooking turns my stomach.

You have to laugh at the hypocritical stance on Salmonella from some who support the EU anyone would think all the food they produce is whiter than white.

Salmonella on the rise again, EU officials admit

The incidence of Salmonella in humans almost halved between 2004 and 2009 but new figures show that it has re-appeared, causing worries for food producers and health workers, but also for EU policymakers.

A recent case that caught the attention of policymakers and consumers came from French dairy giant Lactalis, which decided to withdraw 12 million boxes of powdered baby milk contaminated with salmonella from the supermarkets in 83 countries.

Similarly, it was reported in Germany last month that 20,000 tonnes of soy-based animal feed were found to be contaminated with salmonella in Bavaria and another 12 in Länder.

A source close to the file said, “It is ironic to see that the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) is continuing to distribute videos on Salmonella showcasing the EU ‘success’ story, while simultaneously releasing figures that show the problem is now worse than it has been in many years.
https://www.euractiv.com/section/agr...ficials-admit/

Page 4 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top