Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 10:05 AM

Re: Ageism

Originally Posted by big ben ->
This post has not gone down too well with me. It,s the same old, same old. Everyone wants to get old and reach a ripe old age but to the younger generation we are a just a bloody pain in the rump. If it were not for the older generation the younger generation would not be here. What harm do we 'oldies' do to you of a younger generation. Do we go around mugging others. Do we carry knives and other offensive weapons and attack others just for 'fun'. Remember, with a bit of luck you too will get old one day.
I am probably the oldest member of this forum (92) and it hurts to hear comments like this.
Well said Ben - it hasn't gone down too well with me either. I hope that when folks who say these things live to regret saying them when they too become older than 69 and 'younger' over 50s say the same to them!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 10:14 AM

Even though I'm almost 40 years younger than Big Ben I have to agree with his post.
Spitty - not one of your coolest threads mate
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 10:19 AM

But I enjoy the wisdom from those older than me .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 10:43 AM

Spitty you nob!
You might get away with that on an eighteen to thirty forum but not on here....
Talk about 'ruffling feathers' I feel completely plucked!
and I'm just entering my final year as an over fifties member, then it will be goodbye Foxy it was nice knowing you...What on earth will I fill my time with then?...
I suppose I'll have to start 'talking' to Mrs Fox....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 10:49 AM

I believe both our moderators are over 69.
What would we do if they were banned from the forum?
All of us under-70's would surely be running riot!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 11:18 AM

Maybe this is a parallel universe?..PLease tell me if I've got it wrong but it's seeming to me that more than a few people here think that violent crime started with the current generation. Is 67 "old"...I was beaten nearly to death by a skinhead in Perth (Western Australia that is) in 1971 when I was 19. They all had knives. Bikers used to virtually run South Western Sydney in the 80s and they were middle aged then. They are probably in their 80s now. I've seen "Peaky Blinders"..What was that the 30s in Birmingham?..Whjat about the teddy Boys in the 50s? The Krays and people like them? I really can't speak for English youth. But as I have said most young people I meet here - including young English people - are great. BUt you have your experience. I just don't get it. Is the UK that much different to Australia? THe worst crime is committed by wealthy gangsters who drive around in limos and have Swiss and Cayman Islands bank accounts. And not too many of them are teenagers.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
This post has not gone down too well with me. It,s the same old, same old. Everyone wants to get old and reach a ripe old age but to the younger generation we are a just a bloody pain in the rump. If it were not for the older generation the younger generation would not be here. What harm do we 'oldies' do to you of a younger generation. Do we go around mugging others. Do we carry knives and other offensive weapons and attack others just for 'fun'. Remember, with a bit of luck you too will get old one day.
I am probably the oldest member of this forum (92) and it hurts to hear comments like this.
Well said Ben.....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Even though I'm almost 40 years younger than Big Ben I have to agree with his post.
Spitty - not one of your coolest threads mate

Far from it, it is good to see folks united and galvanised.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I'm 67 but I'm still dreaming of being a Rolling Stone. I think the young people of today are (mostly) bloody awesome. I don't want to be one of them..been there done that. I'm not jealous of them - just proud of them. I still go crazy beating the steering wheel when I'm listening to good music in the car. When I hear those comfortable, boring and entitled "senior citizens" in affluent first world countries - Australia well and truly included - whine endlessly about everything when they have very little to complain about. Whinge about how everything was better in "their day" but don't give a damn about anybody except themselves..I feel like saying But it's not your day now. You've had your day. It's theirs now...But I don't I just wait for the noise to pass. I, for one am happy the age I am. I don't feel "Old" and I feel lucky that I have what I have and that I've had what I did have.I know I'm never going to be a Rolling Stone. But I'm not too old to have my own little "play and giggle" blues band. And that's enough.
I'll just take myself and my prettily decorated with painted butterflies tin helmet with me then if the maximum age to be able to converse sensibly is seen as 69!

Does that mean I am too old to turn on my House music as we travel around in the car.? Oh well, at least when other drivers see two heads bobbing along to the beat, they won't look so worried anymore at what they probably assume is an elderly car driver and his elderly front-seat passenger both seemingly suffering with Parkinsons!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 12:27 PM

I can't think of anything crueller than allowing 50 year olds to join and make friends then deem them too old when they get to 70 or 80 or whatever. Tbh I don't know the ages of many of you but I'd miss you if you weren't here.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top