Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 06:42 PM

Re: Metal Detector Enthusiasts and Treasure Trove.

Passing Stonehenge last week I told my family I would so love a metal detector to scan all those fields . Imagine the wonderful finds there .

It would have to be a quality detector though nothing cheap .

A friend found a beautiful minuscule statue about 1inch tall of a pregnant female I think its stone , on maiden castle , how old no one knows , it is beautiful . We imagine a Goddess maybe for a young woman to carry in the hope of a child
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 02:16 PM

Update:

Detectorists find huge Chew Valley Norman coin hoard

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-49487078

A huge hoard of 2,528 silver coins dating back to the aftermath of the Battle of Hastings could be declared as treasure. The silver coins were found in the Chew Valley, north-east Somerset, by a group of metal detectorists.

The British Museum said it was the second largest find of Norman coins ever in the UK. The Chew Valley hoard contains 1,236 coins of Harold II, the last crowned Anglo-Saxon king of England, and 1,310 coins of William I, as well as several coin fragments. If the hoard is officially declared as treasure, the Roman Baths in Bath hopes to acquire the coins.

Lisa Grace and Adam Staples were training five friends to use their metal detectors on a weekend trip when they made the discovery. The first coin, of William the Conqueror, was found by a friend, with the bulk of the hoard found by Mr Staples and his partner.

While the coins have not been officially valued, they could be worth about £5m which would be shared among the whole group and the landowner.
What a staggering find .....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 02:42 PM

good luck to them, they made the effort and got the reward of a great find

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top