Join for free
Page 10 of 10 « First < 8 9 10
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 11:25 AM

Re: Holiday Hunger!

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I'll tell you what I remember Purwell, we joined the 'Common Market' in 1973..

The Wilson government again failed to take Britain into the EEC in 1967 but Georges Pompidou, who succeeded de Gaulle, finally relented and Britain joined in January 1973 under the premiership of Edward Heath. The 1974 Wilson government was unhappy with the terms of EEC membership and held a referendum in June 1975.

And in 1973, I remember us having a decent motor industry, a coal industry, a fishing industry, and a steel industry and lot's of small family run businesses and engineering factories. The EU put paid to the small engineering factories by imposing rules and regulations that small companies could not afford to implement.

The unions put paid to the big establishments with strikes and stopages. Wages became so high they were unprofitable and with EU help were transferred to foreign countries where some poor sap would do the work for a bowl of rice. The coal industry collapsed because it was cheaper to buy German coal than to dig our own. The working man together with the unions priced us out of the market. And with the demise of the large companies the small family ones, that manufactured parts for the big ones also went out of business.

Because people like you and me Purwell who want to earn as much as we can for the least hours we can, and because we would rather pay ten grand for a car made at the other side of the world instead of thirty grand for virtually the same vehicle made here. And because we want to eat strawberries and mangoes year round, and buy vegetables and other foods from EU countries and beyond instead of producing it here in the UK providing jobs for the locals.

We would prefer to fill our motorways with endless convoys of lorries, fill the oceans with massive container ships and tankers, allow all of our important companies - British Telecommunications, British Gas, Arriva busses and trains, British Airways, British Steel.....Etc etc to be run and controlled by foreign ownership, put most of our working population on benefits while we allow foreign labour to flood the country....While Branson, Dyson and others bask in the sun in their foreign factories and deposit their profits in offshore banks.

And why is everything good in this country imported from Germany and America?
Coca Cola, Macdonalds, KFC, B&Q, Subway, Mercedes, BMW etc, Aldi, Lidl.....the list is endless, why aren't we doing our own stuff.....? And you blame the Previous Governments Purwell, wake up and smell the coffee....You and me are responsible, and everybody else who allowed it to get this bad. So getting out of the EU is the first step. And bollox to global! Global can only work if everyone gets paid the same for the same job. Perhaps taking all of the ships boats and planes out of circulation we might just make a difference to the environment....
Here is someone who is telling us the truth and to some the truth hurts. Good on you OGF
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Here is someone who is telling us the truth and to some the truth hurts. Good on you OGF
I agree!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by oldgreyfox ->
i'll tell you what i remember purwell, we joined the 'common market' in 1973..

the wilson government again failed to take britain into the eec in 1967 but georges pompidou, who succeeded de gaulle, finally relented and britain joined in january 1973 under the premiership of edward heath. The 1974 wilson government was unhappy with the terms of eec membership and held a referendum in june 1975.

and in 1973, i remember us having a decent motor industry, a coal industry, a fishing industry, and a steel industry and lot's of small family run businesses and engineering factories. The eu put paid to the small engineering factories by imposing rules and regulations that small companies could not afford to implement.

The unions put paid to the big establishments with strikes and stopages. Wages became so high they were unprofitable and with eu help were transferred to foreign countries where some poor sap would do the work for a bowl of rice. The coal industry collapsed because it was cheaper to buy german coal than to dig our own. The working man together with the unions priced us out of the market. And with the demise of the large companies the small family ones, that manufactured parts for the big ones also went out of business.

Because people like you and me purwell who want to earn as much as we can for the least hours we can, and because we would rather pay ten grand for a car made at the other side of the world instead of thirty grand for virtually the same vehicle made here. And because we want to eat strawberries and mangoes year round, and buy vegetables and other foods from eu countries and beyond instead of producing it here in the uk providing jobs for the locals.

We would prefer to fill our motorways with endless convoys of lorries, fill the oceans with massive container ships and tankers, allow all of our important companies - british telecommunications, british gas, arriva busses and trains, british airways, british steel.....etc etc to be run and controlled by foreign ownership, put most of our working population on benefits while we allow foreign labour to flood the country....while branson, dyson and others bask in the sun in their foreign factories and deposit their profits in offshore banks.

And why is everything good in this country imported from germany and america?
Coca cola, macdonalds, kfc, b&q, subway, mercedes, bmw etc, aldi, lidl.....the list is endless, why aren't we doing our own stuff.....? And you blame the previous governments purwell, wake up and smell the coffee....you and me are responsible, and everybody else who allowed it to get this bad. So getting out of the eu is the first step. And bollox to global! Global can only work if everyone gets paid the same for the same job. Perhaps taking all of the ships boats and planes out of circulation we might just make a difference to the environment....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 12:31 PM

I'm not sure it matters how it's happened we are where we are and people are not coping with low wages and benefits system as it is. OK the man I wrote about gets over £300 but when his rent is £300 that really means he has no money to live on luckily he gets child tax credit and child benefit but that still makes his life a lot harder than it should be. As for putting his kids in care that really is below what I would call a humane response.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm not sure it matters how it's happened we are where we are and people are not coping with low wages and benefits system as it is. OK the man I wrote about gets over £300 but when his rent is £300 that really means he has no money to live on luckily he gets child tax credit and child benefit but that still makes his life a lot harder than it should be. As for putting his kids in care that really is below what I would call a humane response.
If he can't afford to feed them over the school holidays, I would think going into temporary care is the kindest thing he could do for his children!
Perhaps he should consider getting a job in a cheaper area, because in other parts of England you can rent a 3 bedroom house for half that figure & I think minimum wage is the same throughout the country.... especially as he doesn't seem to have any family who could help, where he is now!
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 01:19 PM

Social cleansing that is known as, been a lot of it going on in London these last few years.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

29-08-2019, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Social cleansing that is known as, been a lot of it going on in London these last few years.
They can call it what they like, but putting a roof over your children's heads & food in their mouths sounds like sensible parenting to me
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by twink55 ->
they can call it what they like, but putting a roof over your children's heads & food in their mouths sounds like sensible parenting to me

Page 10 of 10 « First < 8 9 10

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top