Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2015, 07:13 AM

Re: New poet

I remember my 5 year old son introducing me to Acrostic poetry, they grow up to quickly.

Return to Sorrento (3rd class), Spike Milligan.

"I must go down to the sea again,
To the lonely sea and the sky,
I left my vest and socks there,
I wonder if they're dry ?"

"Mary had a metal cow,
She bought it for a tanner,
And every morn at 6 o'clock,
She milked with a spanner.

“ I thought I'd begin by reading a poem by Shakespeare, but then I thought, why should I? He never reads any of mine. - Spike Milligan ”
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2015, 08:01 AM

ah dear old Spike - what was inscribed on his stone ? - "I told you I wasn't well"?
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2015, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
That don't rhyme - again!
I know just what you mean MJK. I've always written poetry and stories but all my verses rhyme and scan, which seems something else poets can't always understand. My view is that non-rhyming poetry is just prose formatted in short lines! I'm sure a professional poet would rip this theory to pieces but it seems quite easy to just write a load of words and call it a poem. I'm not dissing the content of the OPs poem in any way - and I do "get" it - but it seems a cop out to me to call it anything other than a short piece of prose. There, that's my opinion!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2015, 09:02 AM

All very interesting. As the Bee Gees once sang.

" It's only words"

Would it help if the word "Poetry" was changed to something else? less definable?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2015, 05:46 AM

but then we would have to re-define Poet and Poem - why not re-define the world - might be easier? or did God get it right in the first place - plagues - tsunamis, earthquakes, diseases - let's call it all sugar coated icing!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2015, 08:29 AM

Eternal Father, strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep
Its own appointed limits keep;
Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

24-02-2015, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Eternal Father, strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep
Its own appointed limits keep;
Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea!
I think he's lost control of it all watching us piss around with it and said "oh bugger. let's see if they can do a better job"
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 12:09 PM

I'm just the new guy, but if I might shuffle my way in to this thread.....I'm with MKJ, Jem and all who want their poetry to flow along in some sort of rhyming fashion. I'm not saying that some 'Poetry' that doesn't rhyme isn't beautiful, and I'm sure it's probably me who doesn't understand what it's all about. Eccles and Robert suggest that we call poetry that doesn't rhyme something else, but are there already other names for 'Poetry' like; Psams, Sonnets and songs. To read out many songs without music would perhaps detract from their meaning.....Just saying.. By the way.....absolutely love Eccles signature.....
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

26-02-2015, 01:23 PM

Two Robert's =Two Bob= One Florin=Two shillings=Ten Pence
What's in a name?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 01:37 PM

A £1000.00 would be Grand
But not as good as a Bird in the hand
Vivacious, Glowing, whilst doing the splits
Letting you fondle her Threepenny Bits.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top