Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2014, 07:33 PM

Re: Automatic transmission.

I just can't imagine why anyone wants to change gear. Like Meg I've had autos for donkey's years and wouldn't even contemplate anything else, it's unbelievable how that one thing decreases your workload, to a point where you can call, text, do the crossword and check your makeup (if female of course ) without any need to touch the gear lever once.....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2014, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Yes we have an automatic too - much easier on the joints
Patsy you little minx, you should not be rolling up, or drawing a joint whilst driving, where did you get the gear.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by billclay ->
I must soon find another car, my son suggested an automatic, as the old legs are not as flexible as the used to be,he thought i may find it more comfortable, do you drive an automatic or have experience of them.
My latest car is an auto, I can't believe I waited until I was over 60 to get one.

Get one they are great, especially in traffic, the UK would be ideal for autos.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 07:30 AM

Believe it or not, some people actually like driving. I have no time for this trend to no manual handbrake, no spare wheel, auto transmission etc.....
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 10:36 AM

I still get driving pleasure from an automatic George, in fact even more so when in town and I can concentrate on where I am going and other road users without the constant need to change gear.

I suppose a lot depends on where you live, what type of driving you do and how good your leg joints are, but to me the manual transmission has no advantage whatsoever and is just about as outdated and useless as the starting handle and slide to open windows, which I assume your cars still have...
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 01:05 PM

Had an automatic once as a courtesy car, been driving about 5 mins when a dog ran into the road, out of habit I went for the clutch (which wasn't there) and the brake, my left foot caught the edge of the extended brake pedal which was being applied with the pressure normally needed to depress the clutch, I almost went through the windscreen, lucky no one was following close behind.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Patsy you little minx, you should not be rolling up, or drawing a joint whilst driving, where did you get the gear.
Spittie - you never miss a trick !
Now you tell me ,,,,,,,,,,
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Had an automatic once as a courtesy car, been driving about 5 mins when a dog ran into the road, out of habit I went for the clutch (which wasn't there) and the brake, my left foot caught the edge of the extended brake pedal which was being applied with the pressure normally needed to depress the clutch, I almost went through the windscreen, lucky no one was following close behind.
WOAH !
Some trial runs in a field or deserted area - might be in order Bill, just to get used to it
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 01:33 PM

"useless as the starting handle and slide to open windows, which I assume your cars still have..."
Oh I'm ever so sorry for being such a dinosaur... Of course my car has a starting handle - how do you start yours? After all you can't 'bump start' an automatic. You'll be telling me next that you have electric lights instead of my good old carbide lamps.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

05-08-2014, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
"useless as the starting handle and slide to open windows, which I assume your cars still have..."
Oh I'm ever so sorry for being such a dinosaur... Of course my car has a starting handle - how do you start yours? After all you can't 'bump start' an automatic. You'll be telling me next that you have electric lights instead of my good old carbide lamps.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top