Join for free
Page 8 of 13 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2018, 06:45 AM

Re: Genealogy

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Had another message from Ancestry yesterday - this time from someone in Florida. I knew that one of Grandma's brothers had emigrated to USA and had managed to trace him as far as Chicago - and there the trail ended.

Turns out he moved on to New York - married and had family. His granddaughter now lives in Florida and is tracing her tree. We are going to swap email addresses and information - once I have established that she is genuine!

That recent scam has left me very cautious about what I am willing to share and with whom. It would be good to know how that side of the family progressed though. Have sent a small note with some questions that will prove the relationship one way or another. Am impatient now for a reply - but realise USA is on a different time from us.
Exciting times! I hope for you that she is genuine. I'll be watching this space.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2018, 07:44 AM

It becomes addictive, Kev! I go for months hitting brick walls and think I should give it up - then something like this happens - and off I go again !
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2018, 09:55 AM

How exciting Tabby.
Do be careful though.
I must link with you on Ancestry.
My Trees are big.
I will PM you later, as I would like you to have some free help checking.
My friend is a professional in this.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 04:43 AM

Thanks, Sweetie.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2018, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Thanks, Sweetie.
Most welcome Tabby. Things will now be double checked - How exciting.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 01:08 PM

I didn't know about this thread, Silver Tabby. Just seen your post on Theo's thread.

Will read through it all later. I love the 'family history' and it brings so much information and connection to our historical past.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
How exciting Tabby.
Do be careful though.
I must link with you on Ancestry.
My Trees are big.
I will PM you later, as I would like you to have some free help checking.
My friend is a professional in this.
Sweetie , do you have any tips on how to find prison inmates? Is it possible to find release dates and such stuff?
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 12:25 AM

Just read through. Very interesting and it does get a grip.
When I started I used Family Search.org a lot. Mormon site, taken from the IGI. It had many family trees to access. Sadly they have changed it considerably, and the transcribers in many cases are putting in wrong information, or simply hazarding a guess at what might be correct.

One example, (there are many of different types) A person by the name of Dionisia lived in Yorkshire in the 1500's , sadly she had her name changed to Diane in the last few years. J
ust in my family history I have found multiple errors.
I know this, as I have been lucky enough to trace my father's paternal line directly back to 1570's. This was from the Parish Records of the one and only church.
There are some of the same name earlier than that in the same village (as it would have been) but it's not possible to differentiate who belonged to which line.
The house of the same family still stands with a date stone and the initials. The date on the stone has been argued for many years, 1621,1627,1691,1697 .... I believe it to be 1621 or 1627 due to the family history connected. Others who don't know the family members make their own decisions on the stone itself and how they view it.
The Parish Records were written buy a direct ancestor as he was the church warden during the 1600's and he recorded all the deaths of those suffering the plague. Both his side of the family at that time were dropping like flies on a daily basis. Mothers, fathers, children it was really sad to read. He ,recording his own family deaths, must have found it very hard . Funerals day after day.

Any thoughts on the date ?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

16-06-2018, 04:56 PM

The Mormons are actually very helpful. Their church here has a family history centre attached that anyone is allowed to use - and. no. they don't try to convert you while you are there.

They have amassed tons of information which is stored in underground vaults somewhere in Salt Lake City. While I do not agree with their reasons for collecting it I have to admit I do find it useful and have traced things in their records that are not on Ancestry.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

16-06-2018, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Sweetie , do you have any tips on how to find prison inmates? Is it possible to find release dates and such stuff?
Yes Morti, I will have to put you in touch with my Friend.

Page 8 of 13 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top