Join for free
Page 48 of 51 « First < 38 46 47 48 49 50 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2020, 12:52 PM

Re: Extinction the facts

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
He’s not against them he’s for them .
He was just being diplomatic because he’s a diplomatic old man taking to the Sun Newspaper and he’s astute .

He s not going to give them fuel for some trashy headline)

( people Apart from old Alf Garnetts actually read that rag ?)

There is nothing wrong or illegal about peaceful demonstrations ..
Muddy, although I support what their protest is for, I am well aware that some protesters break the rules of peaceful protests & that turns people against their protest.

You only have to look at some heated discussions on here, to see how easy it is for some to become so frustrated that they break the rules!

This has been a fairly good discussion & we know who supports what, but I feel that if it continues everybody will want to prove that they are right and people will turn against the idea of saving the planet... because it will just be seen as a silly argument.
What I am trying to say is too much arguing may damage the idea rather than gain more supporters.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2020, 01:17 PM

Twink I get your point the discussion was about extinction and really got derailed into the ER debate

However it has brought up some interesting points .
How the media is intent on blackening the image of certain organisations because they are against the interests of big corporations .

The government is failing to act on climate change and although most countries ( not Trumps America ) signed up to the Paris agreement on dangerous emissions and so forth few have complied.

What to do when the government ignores you?

Civil disobedience is a tried and tested way of getting attention.

and while I do not agree with vandalism at all -mild stuff is hardly terrorist behaviour yet the police come down heavily on certain groups .( the middle class middle of the road people middle aged who are protesting for this extremely worthy cause ) I am quite honestly astounded the dislike- for the said set of people . Most middle aged people ARE working they cant afford not too and wont retire until their mid sixties . Middle class people pay more taxes than anyone in the country. THey have a right to have a say and when that say is ignored they have a right IMO to peaceful protest.

Yetthey are excoriated in the rightwing press and its inflammatory rubbish is lapped up voraciously by the readers of the DM the Express the Sun - papers that deliberately inflame situations that are contrary to their billionaire owners interests.
And the Alf Garnetts of the world play straight into their hands

The 'middle class 'are not rich enough to evade taxes in the way that the super rich do or poor enough to get the benefits that the lower paid can get .

They are stuck in the middle in the worse sort of way.

and then to make matters worse they are scorned as do - gooders !

What is wrong with doing good ?

IMO anyone who has a child or who just wants a world fit for future generations should express their concerns about extinction .

We should all be out on the street then at least the future generations will revere not despise us .

History will be our judge .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2020, 02:00 PM

Muddy, In truth we all want to save the world, but sadly too many are not prepared to make the effort or accept some of the blame!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2020, 02:01 PM

Twink I get your point the discussion was about extinction and really got derailed into the ER debate

However it has brought up some interesting points .
How the media is intent on blackening the image of certain organisations because they are against the interests of big corporations .

The government is failing to act on climate change and although most countries ( not Trumps America ) signed up to the Paris agreement on dangerous emissions and so forth few have complied.

What to do when the government ignores you?

Civil disobedience is a tried and tested way of getting attention.

and while I do not agree with vandalism at all -mild stuff is hardly terrorist behaviour yet the police come down heavily on certain groups .( the middle class middle of the road people middle aged who are protesting for this extremely worthy cause ) I am quite honestly astounded the dislike- for the said set of people . Most middle aged people ARE working they cant afford not too and wont retire until their mid sixties . Middle class people pay more taxes than anyone in the country. THey have a right to have a say and when that say is ignored they have a right IMO to peaceful protest.

Yetthey are excoriated in the rightwing press and its inflammatory rubbish is lapped up voraciously by the readers of the DM the Express the Sun - papers that deliberately inflame situations that are contrary to their billionaire owners interests.
And the Alf Garnetts of the world play straight into their hands

The 'middle class 'are not rich enough to evade taxes in the way that the super rich do or poor enough to get the benefits that the lower paid can get .

They are stuck in the middle in the worse sort of way.

and then to make matters worse they are scorned as do - gooders !

What is wrong with doing good ?

IMO anyone who has a child or who just wants a world fit for future generations should express their concerns about extinction .

We should all be out on the street then at least the future generations will revere not despise us .

History will be our judge .
As an Alf Garnett who read the Daily Express, I agree that the term 'do-gooder' is inappropriate to describe XR and the eco-warriors. I apologise for using that unfortunate appellation.

No. They're better described as naughty children.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2020, 04:04 PM

That is patronising .

Academics and scientists all over the world are not naughty children they are serious people and many of them have joined Extinction rebellion. It’s not just in the UK it’s all over the world .

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...st-take-action

Similar letter have been written by hundreds of scientists in Australia

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-...ralia/11922808

In fact 97% of scientists in the entire world agree that climate change is due to human activity and we need to take action now .
These are serious people who are afraid for the future.

Children ,ours ,will be the ones to suffer if we do nothing .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2020, 08:28 PM

That is patronising .

Academics and scientists all over the world are not naughty children they are serious people and many of them have joined Extinction rebellion. It’s not just in the UK it’s all over the world .
Except China and North Korea!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

08-10-2020, 09:26 PM

We don’t set our standards by China and North Korea.

In fact China has taken some strides in controlling emissions because its cities are suffocating in smog because of the use cola .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-10-2020, 09:31 PM

We don’t set our standards by China and North Korea.
In other words, your friends are afraid of protesting in China and NK.

In fact China has taken some strides in controlling emissions because its cities are suffocating in smog because of the use cola .
Cola causes smog?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-10-2020, 10:12 PM

Sorry for winding you up, Muddy.

I think you're a nice lady and I hope we don't fall out.

On the other hand, a discussion's a discussion!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

09-10-2020, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Cola causes smog?
Oh sugar !

Coal ( they probably drink too cola too )

Page 48 of 51 « First < 38 46 47 48 49 50 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top