Join for free
Page 8 of 14 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2021, 10:06 AM

Re: Is There a Breakdown of Respect?

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I would think that back in stone age times it was just families that grouped together. If we need to become groups of families, it just demonstrates that we were not strong enough to be independent, but it has nothing to do with religion, as suggested in the post I replied to!
I admit that the 10 commandments were good rules to live by, but I will never accept they came from God..... they were just things that good people wanted, and a great way to persuade people to follow Christian beliefs..... so we all got used to being controlled by something we thought was greater than us.
I can enjoy being social but, I think for myself & show respect to all, in the hope that they show respect to me. If they don't then I don't spend time with them!
I agree. The Ten Commandments were certainly a list of good rules for civilised living, if you take away the ones about God!
But even then, in those days 'God' was a very useful and controlling influence on the bad people of the world - assuming they believed in it, of course.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2021, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
Hello JBR

Like other organisations such as The British Diabetic Association, Humanism UK changed its name from The British Humanist Association a few years ago

A large part of its activities involves campaigning for things like removing the dominant or privileged status of religions in schools, where it is in effect indoctrination, and society in general; removal of the automatic right of bishops to sit in the House of Lords; to allow assisted dying; freedom of speech; and so on

Sometimes representatives of Humanism UK appear on TV debates & programmes, often leading to arguments with religious leaders

Humanism UK also provides non religious spokespeople for funerals, remembrance & commemorative events, etc

So yes, to carry out those campaigns they need funds

I was brought up as nominal CofE, but as I left school and became more independent I realised I was an atheist, and have stayed with that ever since; and I joined Humanism UK a few months ago; I thought it was money well spent

I've read some of the comments in your Posts on this and older Threads; perhaps you could have a browse through Humanism UK's website?
You make some very good points and, yes, I'm sure that Humanism UK do some very good and necessary work.

I was married in a CofE church for two good reasons. Although I don't believe in a god, Marge and I felt that our families and guests (although they don't believe in a god either) would prefer a traditional service; the second reason was that I really like organ music!

Despite that, I have no wish to have a religious funeral, though I'll leave that decision to Marge. In fact, I'm thinking of handing my left-overs for medical research. However, you've convinced me that if Marge wants a 'proper' funeral, I could suggest she makes it a Humanist job.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2021, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree. The Ten Commandments were certainly a list of good rules for civilised living, if you take away the ones about God!
But even then, in those days 'God' was a very useful and controlling influence on the bad people of the world - assuming they believed in it, of course.
Yes God was a controlling influence back then, on most people, and Christian churches were quite harsh if followers didn't do as they were told. Then the churches had a choice of losing followers or being less harsh, and chose the latter! Sadly this will take a long time to happen with Islam & many of their punishments are appalling. That is why so many are coming to Europe, because they will make it their own & force people to follow their religion with fear of punishment.
Power & control is what all religions want, and they don't teach respect , they just make you do what they want you to!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

16-04-2021, 10:54 AM

Yes God was a controlling influence back then, on most people, and Christian churches were quite harsh if followers didn't do as they were told. Then the churches had a choice of losing followers or being less harsh, and chose the latter! Sadly this will take a long time to happen with Islam & many of their punishments are appalling. That is why so many are coming to Europe, because they will make it their own & force people to follow their religion with fear of punishment.
Power & control is what all religions want, and they don't teach respect , they just make you do what they want you to!
Exactly.
True. The CofE has toned down its level of control enormously over the past century; the RC church rather less so, at least that's the impression I get having spoken with friends who are RCs.
As for muslims, yes, they lag way behind. You might imagine that all the many who have come to live in our country now might have reduced their attitude of control, but that's not the impression I get unfortunately.
I suppose it took the Christian churches a couple of millennia to get to where they are now. The muslims, having started up over six centuries after Christianity, may take another six hundred years or so before they achieve what Christian churches have done!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2021, 11:00 AM

Hi

A breakdown of respect has become much more apparent to me over the last few months.

I am having to walk slowly and take frequent rests, so much more of a victim than before.

Fortunately I have the type of looks that deters potential muggers.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2021, 11:17 AM

You make some very good points and, yes, I'm sure that Humanism UK do some very good and necessary work.

I was married in a CofE church for two good reasons. Although I don't believe in a god, Marge and I felt that our families and guests (although they don't believe in a god either) would prefer a traditional service; the second reason was that I really like organ music!

Despite that, I have no wish to have a religious funeral, though I'll leave that decision to Marge. In fact, I'm thinking of handing my left-overs for medical research. However, you've convinced me that if Marge wants a 'proper' funeral, I could suggest she makes it a Humanist job.
I went to two funerals in 2019 that were conducted by Humanism UK, and I was pleasantly impressed at how well organised, civilised, and sympathetic they were
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

16-04-2021, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
I went to two funerals in 2019 that were conducted by Humanism UK, and I was pleasantly impressed at how well organised, civilised, and sympathetic they were
Of course.
Non-religious people can be at least as sympathetic as religious people.
Even I can be sympathetic where sympathy is deserved.
For example, I have a great deal of sympathy for the Queen.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2021, 01:32 PM

Exactly.
True. The CofE has toned down its level of control enormously over the past century; the RC church rather less so, at least that's the impression I get having spoken with friends who are RCs.
As for muslims, yes, they lag way behind. You might imagine that all the many who have come to live in our country now might have reduced their attitude of control, but that's not the impression I get unfortunately.
I suppose it took the Christian churches a couple of millennia to get to where they are now. The muslims, having started up over six centuries after Christianity, may take another six hundred years or so before they achieve what Christian churches have done!
I have always thought that, just because somebody believes in a god, it doesn't mean they are a decent human being! The only way anybody becomes a decent human being, is by encouragement at an early age and a personal will to be a good person!
I have no attachment to any religion, or any social group, but I show respect to almost everybody and believe that comes from my wish to be fair to all.....and good manners cost nothing!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

16-04-2021, 01:58 PM

I have always thought that, just because somebody believes in a god, it doesn't mean they are a decent human being! The only way anybody becomes a decent human being, is by encouragement at an early age and a personal will to be a good person!
I have no attachment to any religion, or any social group, but I show respect to almost everybody and believe that comes from my wish to be fair to all.....and good manners cost nothing!
Yes indeed. Manners maketh man... and manners maketh woman too, of course.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2021, 02:06 PM

Hi

Life as a youngster in Huddersfield was very simple.

Never get caught by the Police and even worse, never get them to bring you home.

Your Mother would be infinitely worse than anything the Police could do to you.

How very different to today.

The guidelines are that you can tell the Police to F Off three times, the forth you are arrested.

If you did that once when I was a lad you would get a kicking.

The only offensive word left is the C word.

Never, ever, call a female Police Officer that.

You will get arrested and roughly.

I worked for 4 years with a tiny blonde Police Officer who was as polite as they come and absolutely brilliant at her job.

Lovely, empathic and could defuse most situations.

Call her the C word and the batten would be out in a flash and you would be on the ground.

Page 8 of 14 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top