Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2014, 09:36 PM

American Comic Ads of old.

I was always fascinated by the ads in the American comics when I was a boy, the amazing things they had to offer, if only you had the money to get them. Very clever advertising at the time and I'm sure a lot of kids were disappointed when they tried out their purchase's.
Anyone ever get these 'Sea Monkeys'? I'd love to know how they lived up to the promises.

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2014, 11:32 PM

Re: American Comic Ads of old.

Oh yes Jem they always appealed to me. Always fancied the X ray specs. do remember the Submarines and divers, that you had to put a piece of soap into a hole then they submerged and rose to the surface again.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2014, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I was always fascinated by the ads in the American comics when I was a boy, the amazing things they had to offer, if only you had the money to get them. Very clever advertising at the time and I'm sure a lot of kids were disappointed when they tried out their purchase's.
Anyone ever get these 'Sea Monkeys'? I'd love to know how they lived up to the promises.

My husband ordered them as a kid, turned out to be brine shrimp!

That picture brings back memories. I also loved looking at all the tiny pictures. The one of a 7' Frankenstein, my husband said was just a large picture or made out of cardboard, I kind of forget. I never actually ordered stuff myself but my husband & his pals did the odd time.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2014, 06:29 AM

I remember one for something called a "seebackroscope" - so you could see if you were being followed, it was part of a collection of stuff you would need to be a spy/private eye !

My brother used to buy a comic/magazine called "Mad", there were all sorts of weird things advertised in there.

Do any of our american members know if it is still around?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2014, 09:14 AM

I always fancied a pair of the see through spec's meself Nom, being the curious lad we all were. Then there was the 'Diana' air rifle, what a beauty, I googled 'Old comic ads' and got loads of images, not much there for the girls though, but I wonder who would have loved to have this 6' tank, no prizes for guessing.
I used to love Mad magazine Silver.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top