Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 05:25 PM

I am Pilgrim

I've just finished this book and found it worth sticking with.

It is a large book - about 890 pages - and the plot is a two-fold affair that you might find, as I did, you may have to go back occasionally but it was still very gripping.

It's a first novel by Terry Hayes and I get the impression he's left the ending open for a return of the character so I'll be looking out for that!

I ignored the plugs from the Mail on Sunday, The Guardian, Simon Mayo (BBC!) and other celeb authors this time luckily - I usually avoid anything that's been hyped-up!

I'm going to hang onto it and read it again if he publishes another Pilgrim book - the character's background is quite complicated. stevmk2
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 05:34 PM

Re: I am Pilgrim

Lots of characters and complicated plots leave me bemused and struggling. Fortunately I rarely read novels.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 09:07 PM

Brilliant book. Finished it a month or two ago and still thinking about it. Extremely clever plots with brilliant range of knowledge.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 09:13 PM

That sounds the kind of book my husband would enjoy, I think I'll order that for his Kindle.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 10:26 PM

I am pleased to read that you enjoy a good yarn Steve.

I gave up reading fiction years ago. I found it to be, over a period of many years a waste of time. I haven't opened a JK Rowling book, not one.

I read all the books I ever want to read when I was a book shop manager.

Just as well we are all different innit?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2014, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I am pleased to read that you enjoy a good yarn Steve.
I gave up reading fiction years ago. I found it to be, over a period of many years a waste of time. I haven't opened a JK Rowling book, not one.
I read all the books I ever want to read when I was a book shop manager. Just as well we are all different innit?
I love reading as I'm sure that the stimulation from a good story is beneficial - certainly gets my imagination going far more than TV!

I find it odd that you no longer read Robert - I don't ever consider reading a waste of time whether it's fiction or fact.
I worked for a company that owned a small bookshop years go, (called Bookworm), and I can't really see why a former shop manager of a bookshop would actually come out with something like that - and I've not read JK Rowling either but is it relevant?

I am Pilgrim was a departure for me as I said and I don't usually go for this kind of thriller as I prefer reading historical fiction or factual history books.

I'm just passing on my opinion. stevmk2
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2014, 07:37 AM

STEVE

I apologise unreservedly for my outburst. Out of
character, I must have been having a bad day. No excuses.
Thank you for your polite reply. I have no wish to deter anyone from reading.

I don't at the moment read any fiction, unless you count the MEDIA in general as such.

Some books can indeed be life changing or inspiring.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

13-06-2014, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
STEVE
I apologise unreservedly for my outburst. Out of
character, I must have been having a bad day. No excuses.
Thank you for your polite reply. I have no wish to deter anyone from reading. I don't at the moment read any fiction, unless you count the MEDIA in general as such.
Some books can indeed be life changing or inspiring.
Absolutely no problem at all Robert!

I wasn't offended either, just a bit mystified!

I do love to read though; I virtually taught myself the basics and decided, at fours years old, that I should be at school to learn properly - so I went, on my own!

All I wanted to do was read books but it caused a bit of a panic back then.

I didn't even know my address to tell 'em at the school I went to - just the town - and we didn't have a home 'phone so my Mum had the Police and the RN Shore Police trying to find me!

Been like that ever since - a bookworm!! stevmk2
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 06:15 PM

That sounds like a good book, I'll look out for it! I get mine from the library, usually 3 at a time and find at least one is readable, sometimes lucky and get 3 good ones! I read every night before I sleep.
My Dad was always reading something, usually about history, I much prefer fiction, real life is usually boring! I can't stand biographies unless it's someone with a weird life!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top