Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2014, 12:58 PM

Re: Windows 8

Originally Posted by 2wheeler ->
Reading all this stuff about the big money con. trick that is Windoze makes me more and more thankful I changed to Linux all those years ago. No frills - no fancies - just a straightforward (and free) op. system that works.
I don't think Linux has the learning curve it once did but I had trouble getting my Brother printer/scanner working on Ubuntu when I tried it last year. Setting up a wireless connection to my wife's HP printer also took a lot of getting to grips with. Windows 8 had no problems with these.

Linux certainly has its good points but I personally prefer Windows. A few reasons for this. I find the drawing and art programs I use with Windows seem so much more ..well 'polished' perhaps describes it. I have put some money into buying some Windows programs too and it would be a pity to give up on these.

Windows is not free of course but perhaps not very expensive when the cost of buying any Windows software is spread over the weeks, months and years that it is used.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2014, 01:46 PM

I've loved Linux for many years and started with a KNOPPIX live disk in about 2001, which was brilliant for recovering data from a crashed WIndows PC and other functions. I used to use a Linux Mint CD on an old laptop that had no hard drive in it for online banking and shopping and for accessing the Internet when away from home. A very secure system, with no hard drive to store data!

I'd go over to Linux full-time but a lot of what I run just isn't compatible - mainly games, I have to admit, lol. I'd recommend Linux to anyone and it's very easy to use these days.
tyrell
South Eat England
tyrell is male  tyrell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2014, 06:50 PM

All this talk of Windows is making me feel dizzy, moved over to the Mac side a couple of years ago. Mac is so much easier to use and get on with.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2014, 09:49 PM

I've tried various Linux operating systems over the years, some running from a CD and some installed to the HDD. Ubuntu and Mint are the most recent ones installed to the HDD. I think Linux can work well and could take the place of Windows if I ever got at all upset using Windows. This hasn't happened so far though and I think I'll always be a Windows user.

Regarding Macs, my wife has an iPad 3 but says she wouldn't have a Mac next time. Doesn't want to be tied to Mac versions of games etc. Having said that, there are no plans to discard the iPad but when the time comes, perhaps it'll be replaced by something else. I haven't had any experience of Macs and wouldn't feel the need to get familiar with them all the time Windows works well for me.

Also, I read there are people unhappy with Macs just the same as there are with Windows. Type into a search engine a derogatory word or two and tag the words 'Apple Mac' on the end. Brings up some poor opinions of it.

I think it's good to have the alternatives to Windows mentioned though. Sticking with Microsoft Windows isn't the only option for home computer users.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2014, 02:48 PM

I'm after buying a new laptop so I went into Currys this morning and all their laptops have windows 8 on them but on their online website the same laptops come with windows 8.1 which has really confused me.

When I mentioned to the sales assistant in Currys about this he said "we can do the upgrade for you in here". But I'm just wondering why their laptops haven't already got windows 8.1 on them

Should I buy a laptop with 8.1 already on it or buy one with windows 8 and get them to do the update? Any advice appreciated. Thanks
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2014, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
I'm after buying a new laptop so I went into Currys this morning and all their laptops have windows 8 on them but on their online website the same laptops come with windows 8.1 which has really confused me.

When I mentioned to the sales assistant in Currys about this he said "we can do the upgrade for you in here". But I'm just wondering why their laptops haven't already got windows 8.1 on them

Should I buy a laptop with 8.1 already on it or buy one with windows 8 and get them to do the update? Any advice appreciated. Thanks
It won't make any difference Alicat. I reluctantly had to by a new Desktop last Xmas and have 8.1, I still miss XP . I knew my way around that one !!
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Diamond Lady ->
It won't make any difference Alicat. I reluctantly had to by a new Desktop last Xmas and have 8.1, I still miss XP . I knew my way around that one !!
Hi Diamond Lady, you know, the more I read up about Windows 8 and 8.1 makes me feel seriously like keeping this laptop I bought 5 years ago with Windows 7 on it and wait for Windows 10 to come out.

There seems very few are impressed with Windows 8 and 8.1 (I've been reading up alot about it on the internet) so I'm thinking I may stick with this one after all.

Thanks alot.
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2014, 03:47 PM

Hi Diamond Lady, you know, the more I read up about Windows 8 and 8.1 makes me feel seriously like keeping this laptop I bought 5 years ago with Windows 7 on it and wait for Windows 10 to come out.

There seems very few are impressed with Windows 8 and 8.1 (I've been reading up alot about it on the internet) so I'm thinking I may stick with this one after all.

Thanks alot.
I understand 8.1 isn't too bad, compared to Windows 8, but I didn't have 8 to compare.

The thing is with all new releases, there could be glitches with Windows 10 when it's first released.

I bought my Desktop from Currys and they threw in their Knowhow 24/7 Help & Advice and that's proved invaluable with getting used to a difference package. They even log on remotely. I recently renewed the Knowhow Help and they gave me a bargain £131 for four years and that also includes computer protection plan. Couldn't believe it !! £32.75 pa for all the help you need plus insurance if my PC breaks down. This Help also covers any help I need with my mobile, Tab etc, when I can't do something !!

I don't have a problem with Windows 8, it's just that I knew XP inside out and these days don't have the patience. I will have a go at fathoming things out for a short while, but will often give in and phone the Help line. Like I did the other day when sound wouldn't come out of anything on You Tube via Firefox. Worked via IE. Very embarrassing, I'd only clicked on 'mute' by mistake !!!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

30-12-2014, 04:58 PM

There seems very few are impressed with Windows 8 and 8.1 (I've been reading up alot about it on the internet)
It's true that there is much bad to be read about Windows 8 (not so much about Windows 8.1). However, I still believe what I wrote in an earlier post could be the case:
--------
I've often thought that it's only those who don't like the changes, or those who get problems, that are likely to publicise them. There must be silent millions who get on OK with Windows 8 and just use it. They aren't likely to take the trouble to write about that. If they did, perhaps the various sites that people use for expressing views would get bogged down with positive opinions?
--------
There is some learning to do with Windows 8.1. After all, the previous interface had remained essentially unchanged since 1995 until Microsoft (quite bravely in my opinion) decided to try a different one, Bound to cause disquiet I suppose. For better or worse, the newer look won't be entirely dropped but it is something that can be got used to.

If Microsoft change the interface again in 25 years time, people in the future might well be asking for the tiles back ..well maybe.

Also, if you find you really can't get on with the new interface, there are programs that can be added to Windows 8.1 that make it look and feel like Windows XP or Windows 7. I'm not sure what the situation will be as regards this when Windows 10 is released though.

I think the thing to do if you find difficulty in doing something in Windows 8.1 is to initially search for an answer on the Internet. There has been a lot written about the usage of the OS now. If that doesn't work, post a question about the difficulty. I'm sure that even those who don't like the OS will try to help out.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2014, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
It's true that there is much bad to be read about Windows 8 (not so much about Windows 8.1). However, I still believe what I wrote in an earlier post could be the case:
True Mart I think I scared myself with all the negative comments about W8 on the internet before I was given a laptop as a gift with W8 already installed.
My son said get used to it and don't stick to old systems because they won't have the security support.
He also said I must upgrade to 8.1.

Once I ditched the tiles it was ok and I really can't remember what is was like with the old system...

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top