Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 07:34 PM

Re: Patriotism!

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I think we can agree Todgy, the only thing l can add is
that we had the advantage of the Romans giving us a head
start! But l suppose you could say that of much of southern
europe as well,
As regards tarantula's comparing the british empire with
other empires, then l think she forgets that the standard
practise of the times was far more brutal than the british
empire practised!
Regards Donkeyman!
Wot 'ee jus sed.

Put more politely I absolutely agree.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
The way we went around acquiring the empire was criminal, and almost made us as bad as Hitler's Germany!

Which one of you is posting this crapadoodle?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Which one of you is posting this crapadoodle?
You mean there are two spiders about Muddy, eeek!!!

Regards Donkeyman!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 09:50 PM

It's not a valid comparison with Hitler's germany/third reich.

But let's not pretend that just because there were worse entities the British empire is above reproach.

We were not taught much about the British Empire at school. Perhaps they did more about it for O level? Or perhaps you'd have to study British history at degree level? It's bizarre children were not taught the history given how it shaped the country. I hope that has changed. But people from other countries have studied it. They seem to know more than some born here!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 09:59 PM

What makes you think people dont know about the British Empire ?
There is only so much you can learn at school usually you are given a certain sector for O level and the same for A level .
It depends on what the syllabus is for that year .
If you are interested you will read up about a subject yourself .

SOME people from other countries MAY have studied it .
And why not we were one of the greatest Empires in the world .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
What makes you think people dont know about the British Empire ?
There is only so much you can learn at school usually you are given a certain sector for O level and the same for A level .
It depends on what the syllabus is for that year .
If you are interested you will read up about a subject yourself .

SOME people from other countries MAY have studied it .
And why not we were one of the greatest Empires in the world .
Re your first sentence, I'm talking of people from my generation Muddy (generation X). You are from a different generation. Perhaps baby boomers were taught more?

I have a history A level and whilst there was some cover of the British empire it didn't focus on that. Like you said, when you study history for advanced and degree level it's usually a specific part. But it's interesting what's left in and out in the UK. I guess it's the same everywhere. It's not surprising that countries worldwide teach the most positive versions of their own history.

What particularly shocked me was the film Gandhi. Do you think that was an inaccurate portrayal of history? I'm not sure because I haven't been taught it but perhaps you and others have? Was anyone here taught this at school? Why do we have to find out our own history in the cinema?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 11:02 PM

I have learned a lot more about the British Empire from my friends from the Sub Continent than I did at school. Incidentally I am a “Baby Boomer “.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Re your first sentence, I'm talking of people from my generation Muddy (generation X). You are from a different generation. Perhaps baby boomers were taught more?

I have a history A level and whilst there was some cover of the British empire it didn't focus on that. Like you said, when you study history for advanced and degree level it's usually a specific part. But it's interesting what's left in and out in the UK. I guess it's the same everywhere. It's not surprising that countries worldwide teach the most positive versions of their own history.

What particularly shocked me was the film Gandhi. Do you think that was an inaccurate portrayal of history? I'm not sure because I haven't been taught it but perhaps you and others have? Was anyone here taught this at school? Why do we have to find out our own history in the cinema?
Well I was awarded a scholarship to a fee paying school where the syllabus where history was concerned was broad and political rather than learning how to recite the "names and fames" of English kings which was the sort of stuff my contemporaries were taught elsewhere.

I found modern European history absolutely enthralling and still do. We also were taught about the expansion of European empires, warts and all.

In retrospect I suspect that the intent was that most of us would be entering politics (many did!) or would benefit from an education biased in such a way.

I didn't.

But still find it interesting especially the howls of indignation from superannuated snowflakes prattling on about how simply awful our behaviour was yet with no comparison made or considered in what other empire builders were up to in parallel with us.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

09-08-2019, 11:30 PM

I felt we spent an almost entire term studying Tollund man in school history at age 12..... it probably wasn't that long but felt an eternity. We could either study Geography or history at o level. My head of year was the geography teacher and based on her own self interest decided my options for me. Maths, the three sciences plus human biology, geography (ugh), english lit and language and I was allowed art and German.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2019, 12:58 AM

My grandfather died defending France in WW1. He was fighting in the Australian Army and was killed at the Battle of Polygon Wood. My uncle was in the Air Force when he was killed in the first Japanese bombing raid on Darwin in WW2. My father fought at El Alamein in WW2 and was wounded twice. I lost a friend I grew up with in Vietnam. So only one out of four were killed directly defending Australia. All I can say about patriotism is that I feel ambivalent. I feel "patriotic" about my own country. But as far as fighting other country's wars goes, I am not so patriotic. I hate war but I would defend my country. I am not a flag waver but I am proud of my country and I love it. I feel welcoming to anybody regardless of race, religion etc who wants to come and live here in peace and make it better. Am I a patriot? What does that word mean?...All I know is I feel peaceful and happy. I truly feel that I have very little to complain about. I am comfortable and I have enough of what I need. I don't feel threatened. So if wanting to hang on to that and defend it is being a patriot, well I guess the shoe fits me.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top