Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 09:25 PM

Cash machines..............

Over a fortnight ago, I went to get some money from the ATM outside one of our local supermarkets.

Card in, number in, amount in - card spat out, no money with a message 'failed transaction'.

I trotted into the shop and happened to be behind a chap who had had the same thing happen to him to the tune of £300. Thank goodness I hadn't asked for that much - £30 I can live with, but £300 would have upset me far more!

I wouldn't mind so much, if I hadn't been debited with the withdrawal. I've filled in the appropriate form from my bank, but 'the wheels of God' certainly grind slowly - as yet, no refund.

Daft, I know, but it's made me very wary of withdrawing money from the 'hole in the wall'.

Gwyn
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 09:29 PM

Re: Cash machines..............

As I said on another thread, my daughter's card was cloned from a machine outside the supermarket, I think it was used in Bolivia or somewhere.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 11:49 PM

I won't use the hole-in-the-wall for those reasons. I either go the bank's counter to withdraw, use the machine inside the bank, or if its a relatively small amount I get 'cash back' when I purchase something.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 12:14 AM

I have never used ATMs, I don't trust them. If I need cash I go in the bank or post office.
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 10:23 AM

As I type, I'm still waiting for some action - the amount's still showing on my latest statement.

Not a happy bunny!

Gwyn
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 11:51 AM

If you use a outside ATM you should always ask for a receipt so you have proof then. If it says failed transaction that does show on the receipt and will give the time and date which is your proof that you didn't get the money. Also some ATM's that have been compromised do that and then the perpetrator comes along and does something to the machine and gets the cash.
Did you ask the bank to look at their webcam on that day to prove what you are saying?? They have webcams on every ATM nowadays.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 12:54 PM

I never use the things, I always carry some cash with me, not a lot but enough for what I need. People today are slaves of the banks and that's the way they want it to be, in the old days ordinary people put money in the bank when they wanted to save for something, maybe get a bit of interest on their savings, now you have to pay them and take all kinds of abuse from them for the privilege of using their 'Services', funny thing is it's your money in the first place.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 02:22 PM

Blimey, I can't believe it showed up on your account as a debit! Was the machine empty of money, do you think? This is something else to consider/worry about when using these things!

I'm with Mups on this.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 03:30 PM

If they are empty they say on the screen no money available, if they have no £5 notes the screen tells you before you ask for your money.

I rarely use them for anything other than checking a balance they never feel very safe to me.
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 03:35 PM

I've never used them...I always get some cash back when I do my weekly shopping

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top