Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2014, 08:23 PM

Researching a topic on the internet........

My eldest grand-daughter (13) had a project from school about Martin Luther King. She duly borrowed my PC and then showed me her work. Spot on, but when I asked her what (for example) 'segregation' meant, she was very vague.

I think the internet is a great tool, but what it doesn't provide is understanding. Much is copied, but not all is understood.

Anyone agree?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2014, 08:35 PM

Re: Researching a topic on the internet........

Definitely agree Alice - discussion on topics need to take place in the classroom and questions asked too, that's how it was for me and enjoyed that. Too much reliance on computers I think ......
BoyRacer
Scotland,UK
BoyRacer is male  BoyRacer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2014, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by AliceB ->
I think the internet is a great tool, but what it doesn't provide is understanding. Much is copied, but not all is understood.

Anyone agree?
I think you've summed up the problem with modern education. Children now have access to massive amounts of information, far more than we ever had, and at times too much.

However, facts and information do not teach people how to understand or how to learn, they only provide, well, information.

Someone I knew once summarised it as "in the past schools taught pupils how to learn, now they teach them what to learn"

To research a topic, you need to have a basic understanding of what you are looking for. That should be provided by schools and teachers
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2014, 08:42 PM

Hi Alice,
Yes, I agree with you, however many words that are not 'commonly used' will have the same result, as I have found myself, on occasions...
That is where a dictionary would be a useful tool. something that may not be used as often as it used to be...
Perhaps you could encourage her to have a 'home' project occasionally to add to her vocabulary.
Well done to you both for the enthusiasm that you created...
Regards,
Malc.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2014, 08:49 PM

I agree the kids have always used computers and then when I checked their homework I would ask them questions it made them careful to make sure they really understood and hadn't just copied swathes of text. I think that should be done in school but sadly targets etc mean they have less time to teach about things and seem to just want to get them through exams.
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2014, 08:50 PM

Can't help myself - I have a teaching background and I want C to understand what she's dealing with. Spouting words doesn't necessarily mean that.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2014, 09:10 PM

I used to tell my youngest to write it in her own words, that way she had to ask me if she didn't understand bits. Also to get information from books as well and put it all together.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I used to tell my youngest to write it in her own words, that way she had to ask me if she didn't understand bits. Also to get information from books as well and put it all together.
Excellent advice, Twiz!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 10:01 AM

I was one of those children who was always asking questions - who, why, where, etc., my ever patient Aunt being the usual victim of my interrogations. She would smile sweetly and say "Child, see if you can find out for yourself - if you cannot - ask me again tomorrow and I will tell you". Nine times out of ten I did find out for myself (we lived near the library) but it always amazed me that, if I had to ask her again, Auntie Chris knew the answer. I grew up believing that she knew everything and was in my early 20s before she revealed that she was buying time to go and look things up!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I was one of those children who was always asking questions - who, why, where, etc., my ever patient Aunt being the usual victim of my interrogations. She would smile sweetly and say "Child, see if you can find out for yourself - if you cannot - ask me again tomorrow and I will tell you". Nine times out of ten I did find out for myself (we lived near the library) but it always amazed me that, if I had to ask her again, Auntie Chris knew the answer. I grew up believing that she knew everything and was in my early 20s before she revealed that she was buying time to go and look things up!
Now thats a smart lady

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top