Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 10:39 AM

Re: Researching a topic on the internet........

From what I saw on TV history is now confined in schools to the first and second world wars. Before that nothing happened.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
From what I saw on TV history is now confined in schools to the first and second world wars. Before that nothing happened.
It always bothered me that there was 'no' mention of the wars in my schools, much more important to me than bloomin Henry the 8th or the other royals !
Being taught recent history is far more important if only to gain respect from pupils of their ancestors .......
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
It always bothered me that there was 'no' mention of the wars in my schools, much more important to me than bloomin Henry the 8th or the other royals !
Being taught recent history is far more important if only to gain respect from pupils of their ancestors .......
I agree, geography also annoyed me I knew more about China than I did about how to get around this country. Impact that has had is I rarely know where I am and I have never needed the knowledge I had about China.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 12:02 PM

Internet gained knowledge is much the same as digital photos held online, when there is a crash, if not backed up it's all lost. Kids seem to assume that because information can be sourced at the tap of a few keys, there is no need to store it locally within the Cranium. where's it all going.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 12:05 PM

If you ain't got no battery power, an A to Z is more use that a TomTom.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I agree, geography also annoyed me I knew more about China than I did about how to get around this country. Impact that has had is I rarely know where I am and I have never needed the knowledge I had about China.
Funny - but true !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

09-11-2014, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
If you ain't got no battery power, an A to Z is more use that a TomTom.
Yes indeedy !
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 04:05 PM

Cutting and copying from the internet, and using a calculator, won't teach children anything. They need to read and work out things for themselves.

I have to admit to googling everything as it's a mine of information.
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 04:41 PM

My input on this: Whilst I do in general agree with most, if not all things that has been said, there are a couple of problems with using the internet to source information.

One is that quite often, some details cannot be found. A second is that in some cases, information is false. In fact, a teacher friend of mine uses a wiki article that he knows to be false just to prove the point to his students.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

09-11-2014, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Fender Bender ->
My input on this: Whilst I do in general agree with most, if not all things that has been said, there are a couple of problems with using the internet to source information.

One is that quite often, some details cannot be found. A second is that in some cases, information is false. In fact, a teacher friend of mine uses a wiki article that he knows to be false just to prove the point to his students.
Good point some 'facts' need to be checked ......

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top