Join for free
Page 13 of 20 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 11:01 AM

Re: It's official, Big Ben will chime on 31st January

I don't think the date ought to be publicly celebrated. Celebrating is like rubbing salt into the wounds of those who lost the vote. Now Brexit is a done deal, there's no need to promote further division or bad feeling and celebrating might be seen at doing that.

Keeping it low key by raising a glass in the privacy of our homes with similar minded people is OK. Other than that, I think we just need to let it go and get on with life.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
If Beg Ben wasn't undergoing maintenance it would bong anyway at 11pm on 31st of January, I bet the remainers would have a very difficult job preventing the bongs from happening.

This is just another stupid stunt by the sore and bitter remainers to spoil a historic event from having the celebration it deserves.

I would suggest a massive firework display from the Tyne Bridge to give a clear message that :

1. The UK is not metropolitan London and it does not revolve around it.
2. The north is the Brexit heartlands
3. The north has united in the general election and labour supporters loaned Boris their vote to get Brexit done !

Something like that.
I agree completely.

Well, almost completely. The firework display should be somewhere in God's County!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree completely.

Well, almost completely. The firework display should be somewhere in God's County!
Read my letter to Mark Francois on another thread mate, I couldn't agree more with you, so much so I thought I'd out-gammon the master of Brexit gammon-ness.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I don't think the date ought to be publicly celebrated. Celebrating is like rubbing salt into the wounds of those who lost the vote. Now Brexit is a done deal, there's no need to promote further division or bad feeling and celebrating might be seen at doing that.

Keeping it low key by raising a glass in the privacy of our homes with similar minded people is OK. Other than that, I think we just need to let it go and get on with life.
I disagree.

Celebration is part of our lives. It's a joint demonstration of happiness after winning a very difficult fight.

We are natural celebrants when it comes to sport (when we win), marriage, christenings, and so on.

Of course, those who did not win will be unhappy. That's one of life's lessons.

It should encourage them to work at it in a different way in their next battle.

Where's the fun if you don't celebrate the overcoming of a difficult challenge?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I disagree.

Celebration is part of our lives. It's a joint demonstration of happiness after winning a very difficult fight.

We are natural celebrants when it comes to sport (when we win), marriage, christenings, and so on.

Of course, those who did not win will be unhappy. That's one of life's lessons.

It should encourage them to work at it in a different way in their next battle.

Where's the fun if you don't celebrate the overcoming of a difficult challenge?
Then you won't mind joining the scottish festivities on their independence and joining of the EU in 2024?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Then you won't mind joining the scottish festivities on their independence and joining of the EU in 2024?
It's never going to happen.

The Scottish people voted "NO" in the independence referendum. Its Holyrood that's being undemocratic by asking for a second referendum. Like most losers they can't take no for an answer.

In the General Election 55% of Scottish voters voted for unionist parties - where have I seen those 45% / 55% figures before ???

Oh yeah, the once in a generation independence referendum

You seem to think SNP voters are all wanting independence. Your wrong on that as well.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 03:28 PM

Don't hold your breath - neither is going to happen!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 03:40 PM

If the Ginger Minger thinks she and the rest of the SNP are going to get a 2nd indyref then they've another thing coming. IMHO they'd be far better off working on improving the Scottish NHS and education standards as well as sorting out the poor living standards in many of the Scottish towns and cities - I thinking of Ms Sturgeon's own constituency here with its rat-infested streets and alleyways.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree completely.

It will be. My family and I are having a bit of a celebration at my brother's house on the 31st. I just need to pop to Crilly's at Birstall to get one of their `Asteroid` multiple firecrackers for the event.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
It will be. My family and I are having a bit of a celebration at my brother's house on the 31st. I just need to pop to Crilly's at Birstall to get one of their `Asteroid` multiple firecrackers for the event.
I might pop over to watch.

Page 13 of 20 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top