Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 07:02 PM

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Shopping Each Week?

I like to keep a spreadsheet of household accounts and have done since I retired. Looking back at last year then, for the two of us we averaged a spend of £86.87 per week on food and household provisions, so not far off some of you others...
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 07:05 PM

I haven't a clue how much I spend on shopping each week as I go to the shops 2/3 times a week and choose whatever takes My fancy...I only buy special offers in bulk when My Daughter/G,Daughter take Me in the car..But..My cupboards are never bare.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
SG I don't think you should worry about how much you spend on shopping, I don't think the amount you spend is excessive.

I spend around £50 a week and it's just me on my own, although about £8 of that is dog related items. Sometimes it's more as I will buy extra if things are on offer.

I remember when I was younger and had kids I had to buy value brands and bargain hunt as much as possible but now I have more disposable income I don't skimp, not just to save a few quid that I won't miss.

Problems occur when people live outside of their means, which I'm positive you're not doing, you're just living your best life and having what you want and not compromising on quality.
Nicol, Thank you for your kind comments. Like yourself, when we were younger we too had to opt for quantity over quality a lot of the time. I'm fortunate now that I don't have to fret over grocery bills. It just took me by surprise when my GD looked horrified that I was spending £30 to £40 more than a family of 5 when there are only 2 of us plus 2 pooches.

Looking at other poster's replies however, it seems that £80/£90 is not outlandish when there are just 2 people. That's a relief to know.

I also note that there is no loyalty to a particular supermarket like there used to be over a decade ago.

I too buy 6 bottles of our favourite wine once a month from Tesco. They usually do good deals if we buy six so buy only once instead of weekly.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 08:26 PM

SG, To me, it sounds a lot but then again, why not if you have good pensions. There’s no point in stashing it!
l was trying to work out how much l spend a week.

I’d say, it’s never more than £16 a week but then there are other weeks when l buy more of things that are on offer and l stockpile them.
I have three freezers full of various meats, mainly steak, beef and pork, soft fruit, l grow in the garden and other foods, ie fish.

I grow a few potatoes and runner beans and they last forever! The tomatoes, l grow and don't eat, l freeze and use them in recipes.

I’d say, i mostly buy fresh basics, butter, milk, vegetables, brown bread or bake some bread in my breadmaker.

I have hens for the eggs

I know l can live on what's in my freezer and l am trying to do that at the moment to get the food contents down a bit.

SG, You keep spending and have whatever you like! YOLO.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I have hens for the eggs
I'm gonna start eating more eggs after reading about peeps eating 3 or 4!

But I can't believe homegrown are cheaper.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I'm gonna start eating more eggs after reading about peeps eating 3 or 4!

But I can't believe homegrown are cheaper.
d00d, You’re right, they probably aren’t cheaper!
Someone once said, with all you spend, ie, the housing, the hens, the food... it probably costs you in all, about £5 per egg!

Keeping hens is an addiction but at least you know what they are eating and the eggs are fresh!
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 09:09 PM

Problems occur when people live outside of their means, which I'm positive you're not doing, you're just living your best life and having what you want and not compromising on quality.

I agree wholeheartedly, Nicol.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 09:27 PM

Probably around $200 a week. THat's for three of us and a dog. I spend a bit more at Coles, Woolworths or indie outlets and get decent quality rather than take pot luck with ALDI.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 11:38 PM

We spend about £75 for the two of us. Mrs mart eats a very healthy diet of fruit, veg and fish. I also eat plenty of fruit, veg, and non-processed foods but occasionally enjoy pre-made what might be called 'junk foods' too.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 10:04 AM

I don't have the slightest idea...I shop when I need stuff and I'm not a creature of habit ....I don't keep a tally...maybe I should .

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top