Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 11:58 PM

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Eating Out Each Week?

Not a lot, we usually go to either Sainsburys or McD's sometimes even KFC.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 03:54 AM

I eat out a couple of nights a week usually at the club or the local Thai place. Occasionally also join friends for lunch on a Thursday at the pub.

Probably costs me less than $100 including drinks, not really sure exactly because I don't keep stock but $100 (£50) would be about right.

I'd eat out more often but I would end up the size of a house if I did.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Following on from Shrops .... How Much Do You Spend On Shopping Each Week? .... which I don't think is supposed to include the odd pint, cuppocinno, burger ....

How much do you spend, and where?

For us it's just a lunch once or twice a week, we haven't been out in the evening for years. Our lunches are little more than a sandwich, burger or whatever we find good value.

They say the cheapest place to eat is Borough Market ... enough free samples make a free lunch. And it's true.

We know a couple of Oriental eateries where you can get a bowl of veg curry & rice for a fiver.

McD is super cheap ... a double cheeseburger about £1.50 is a good start.

Brick Lane samosas and other delish spicy fried takeaway bits real cheap but it's takeaway and therefore nowhere to sit.

What do you do? I know pubs are always an option when you're in the country.
In my day it was Borough High Street that had all the eateries and pubs. My missus used to work in Holdens a newspaper distributor I would use the agency whenever I needed a few months work, and we even had our reception there in The Grapes when we got wed in Walworth Town Hall me and my brother in laws could do a pub crawl quite easily down there.

But it as all changed now the Borough Market never used to have loads of restaurants just the odd cafe. But I was sitting outside my brother in laws house last year before he passed and he had a house in Park Street just behind the market and the amount of people traffic walking through to the offices and the Southbank and Globe theatre munching on sandwich's and what ever else they could fit in their gobs after visiting the market in their lunch breaks.

I remember telling his missus that if she wanted to earn a copper or two all she had to do was put a few tables and chairs in the front of the house and start doing tea's and sandwich's. Nothing the council or health people could do its on private land.

I remember reminiscing with him just how much that area as changed since our early days living in Bermondsey.
Brick Lane is another hussle and bussle place to go to eat the different types of foods unbelievable down there although we did like our own manor and only visited Tower Hamlets on special occasions.
Has for eating out these days I do all the cooking in my house and we do have the occasional Chinese or McDs or KFC Pitsea is full of eating places so we dabble a bit Festival Park as various eating establishments and a great pub called The Quays which do a great cider and meal in the summer months, and there is a skiing ramp for the grandkids and swans and other stuff next to it.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 09:40 AM

I probably eat out once a month and I go to local wetherspoons, we have two in the town. A family one and an adult one. I always have a large glass of merlot and a sirloin steak , the food is very good and the steak delicious and it costs about £11.

Once in a blue moon a friend and I will go out for lunch together and a bottle of good wine and two lunches costs about £25 for both . It's great coming home on the bus squiffy!

I know how to live dont I
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 09:41 AM

We eat out a lot usually two or three times a week either in pubs or Indian restaurants....the chaps pay the bill but in my case hubby pays it from a joint account so I am paying my way ....dare not add up how much we spend but I expect it's far too much
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
We eat out a lot usually two or three times a week either in pubs or Indian restaurants....the chaps pay the bill but in my case hubby pays it from a joint account so I am paying my way ....dare not add up how much we spend but I expect it's far too much
Don't feel guilty Summer, life's for living and if you can afford it, why not. I love to eat out. As I see it, we work hard for our pay so why not have a little of lifes luxuries.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 02:42 PM

Must admit we haven't been out for a meal for ages. The last time was the beginning of December when my brother's Russian fiancee came over to visit. 10 of us went for a meal at our favourite restaurant on the Saturday night, The following day,the same 10 went for a carvery lunch. Since then my slippers have stayed firmly on.

As for a takeaway, we have a Fish & Chips supper from one of the best chip shops in the UK once every two weeks on a Friday evening. The proprietor, when seeing HWMO enter the shop, instead of joining the back of the queue, watches as the owner/boss automatically puts two huge fresh pieces of Cod Fillets into the fryer. (even if the range is full of already cooked fish). He knows we both like our fish freshly made and wrapped individually from the huge quantity of chips he also includes.(£10 for 2 Cod & 1 large chips). HWMO leaves the queue and sits down at the only table and reads the paper while they cook our fish. Brilliant modern chippie, run by a lovely Greek family who certainly know how to ensure their customers return again and again.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 03:46 PM

Just been trying to work out how much we spent over Xmas in Portugal. Mrs d00d & I blew over €1,500 in three weeks on eating out, and they were quite modest eateries with no more than a small jug of house wine between us. Top nosh tho ... quite basic dishes like grilled fish, black pork, shellfish, beef & bean stew. Portugal has good chinese restaurants too.

We like to save ourselves for holidays.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Brilliant modern chippie, run by a lovely Greek family who certainly know how to ensure their customers return again and again.
A lot of Brit chippies run by Greeks, I find.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2020, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
A lot of Brit chippies run by Greeks, I find.
It's is interesting how the owners for food places change over time.

When I first came to Australia it was certainly the case that delis, hamburger joints (pre Maccas), milk bars etc were slowly taken over by people of Greek and southern European descent.

In between then and now we have seen various nationalities 'dominate' food places including middle eastern, Vietnamese etc currently it seems that every other food place is owned by the Chinese (though they have also dominated in technology small business retailers for yonks).

I suspect it is because owning a food retail place is very suitable for a family business, new migrants look for business opportunities with minimum capital outlay and which make use of 'cheap' labour (ie you don't need to pay your kids award wages). As they become more affluent they move on and a new generation of migrants takes over.

BTW this is speaking very generally but it is an observable trend. Go into any shopping mall and I am pretty sure that the food court stall owners will be mostly Asian at the moment.

Perhaps I should qualify that by saying out of all proportion to their percentage of the population.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top